Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR starting issues and sluggish

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 hilux dual cab/VR V6
I am at my witts end here, I have a VR V6 and auto in my hilux and I have a hard time starting it and find it misses or coughs and splutters at any sudden accelerator movement but I can drive it smoothly up to say 20 odd percent throttle if I progressively open the the throttle as the revs increase but then it coughs and splutters at any more throttle input.
I have done a diagnostic check and it came back with 12, 36 and 56, normal opperation, vacuum leak and engine leaning out under load.
I have checked the MAP sensor voltage and thats well within range for my altitude and when placed under vacuum it reads a bout 1.8V lower just like the manual says it should.
I have checked the resistance of the injectors which all came in at about 14.5 ohms, the coil packs resistances all checked out to be fine, the alternator is putting out 14.2 volts, my fuel pressure regulator is not leaking from the vacuum port on the side of the regulator.
Has anyone got any idea what my problem could be? I don't know what else to check :bang:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
at idle you should have about 0.5 volts on the MAP volts what sort of reading do you get

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK just checked it then it's 1.38-1.4V between the A and B terminal on the map sensor

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
dont worry mate i was meaning the TPS anyway LOL brain fog today.

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha great! you mean I accidentally stabbed myself in the finger with my multimeter probe for nothing! thats internet persuaded assault :cry:

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am thinking my next step will be to change the fuel pressure regulator and see if that makes a difference, I wish I had the right test gear to check if it's working instead of just standing back and throwing money at the engine till it works right!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you fit the vr fuel pump in the tank or go external aftermarket pump or something

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have used a federo lifter pump which primes a surge tank then 200mm after that it enters an inline EFI pump through a 1/2" hose, then exits the pump through an 8mm ID efi hose up to the fuel damper, through the rails, out the regulator, back into another 8mm ID hose back to the surge tank and then the return line from the surge tank back to the main tank.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
You definately sound like you know what you are doing, but i have a stupid question for you..

have you been able to double check that your have the Spark leads going to the correct cylinders?

i've had a similar issue with the spitting and farting engine, when i changed my leads and accidentally crossed them, it wouldn't idle correctly. issue was simply that i had cyl 2 & 6 the wrong way round.

cylinder config is as below:

trans
-----
6. 5.
4. 3.
2. 1.
X

Front of vehicle
---------

or, your air flow sensor may be not working correctly, stuffing up the air/fuel mix

---------

hope that helps

JA2Z

luxadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the tip cobber, I definately had that thought the moment I noticed the fault, after a quick check of coil numbers to DFI module orrientation, high tension lead routing and spark gaps I realised it was all correct and not the problem.....unfortunately.
I have a spare DFI module I am going to swap over and see if that makes any difference.
Also the ecotecs had air flow meters not the VR buick style V6's, they have a manifold appsolute pressure sensor, which I checked the opperation voltage ranges at idle and with the engine stopped but ignition on, at sea level, they were both correct according to the ranges specified in the gregorys manual.
I will also check the resistance of the coolant temp sensor and manifold air temperature sensor at ambient temps and compare the values to the gregory's manual.....just clutching at straws now hoping to stumble upon the real problem