Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Starting Problem....

Shaun80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 1994
Hi

I have a VR (94) V6 3.8Ltr which i recently bought (cheap!). While it runs ok it has this starting problem i just can't figure out.

The problem is..

When starting it normally it just cranks over but won't fire over, however if you pump the accelerator pedal while it's cranking it will fire over roughly (splutters and coughs) and either a) the revs fall and it dies or b) it will struggle for 5 seconds or so like its going to conk out until it reaches 1000rpm idle then smooths out. After that point it goes fine enough except sometimes when you put it into park or reverse it go's to die (when parking on an uphill or downhill it seems?).
I should add that while the engine is struggling to get to proper idle it chugs a bit of black smoke out the tailpipe.

In trying to hopefully fix this problem i have tried a fair few things but nothing has changed?
So far i have replaced
Fuel Pump\Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Cleaned the Throttle Body with Carby Cleaner (including the IAC and TPS).
and also run countless bottles of Injector Cleaner through it (which does nothing)

I recently took it to a mechanic and he said i was losing fuel pressure and i had weak ignition spark and it would cost big $$ to fix. he replaced my Fuel pressure regulator as he said it was leaking.
Then went on to say i should probably get rid of it as it's not worth the money required to be spent but it go's pretty well and i'm not quite ready to give up on it yet!

Just wanted to get a 2nd opinion on what may be the actual cause of this problem as i was thinking the fuel line but now maybe not? New Coil Packs\Spark leads maybe?

I probably should mention the car has just over 300,000km's on the clock but go's pretty smooth and still has life in it!!

Anyway hope someone can shed some light on this one!

trendy_td

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
step up sensor on the botom of the throtle body my car was acting simalar on start p and at the lights
took mine out yesterday pulleld the stem out and used a slicone spray to lube the guide and put it back in 100% cosistancey on start up now and cofidane at the lights.........10 min job new sensor i belive is 70 odd dollars

Shaun80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 1994
Hi

Yeah i gave The "throttle position sensor" and "Idle Air control" thing a clean out along with the whole throttle body but no difference? I ran a "error code" check and got 12 (system ok) and the one that says a prob with ur "camshaft position sensor" so i removed that and cleaned it off and still no go!

Anyway i've decided to scrap the engine completely as my neighbour just recently smashed his VS (in the rear) and is giving me the engine (174,000Km's on odometer) + helping me put it in with his engine crane!

Thanks for the help and sorry it took me so long to reply but u all know how it is working all the time to pay for your car(s)

aidan vr winters

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8L
hey man my vr is doing exactly this. and ive changed the oxy sensor the crank angle sensor new coil pack new leads and spark plugs and still dose it. i hoping someone can tell me how to fix it. :)

mjs8672

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
my car had a miss first thing in the morning and a bit rough on the idle so I just replaced the following.

DFI module and 3 coils (brand new delhi)
2x o2 sensors (PEC)
TP sensor

total coat $295 delivered
runs perfect now

Caleb dawson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 vr executive
Having the same problem with my vr except I've fixed the lumpy start which was injectors,I can try start it and it will just crank and crank but it will start with a bit of a pump of the accelerator would this be a sign of weak spark? It's got 310 thousand on it I'm thinking the coils might be cactus considering everything else has been replaced due to massive neglect by the previous owner

Trev084

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
Without looking at the car my 1st guess is the ICV (idle control valve).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stop asking the same question in multiple threads your confusing people. You have replaced the fuel filter yet not told us if that has made a difference or not.??

Last edited: