Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR timing cover removal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How hard is it to replace the timing cover gaskets? I am leaking coolant and need to replace the gaskets. Is there any write ups? I can not see any but maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria?? Lastly does the sump need to come off like I believe it does with a VN? I'm pretty sure some things changed from early to late Buick just not sure what. If the sump needs to come off then I have another couple of questions.
I have a Max Ellery but it is useless, doesn't even have serpentine belt pattern for the Buick, yet has one for the Eco... I just don't want to start tearing it down and find myself stuck halfway through and needing a tow truck to a mech because something like the sump needs to come off or something like the balance shaft needs replacing.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Keep sump on. Just remove front sump bolts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep sump on. Just remove front sump bolts.

Thanks Bris, sounds like the job is fairly doable for a novice like me. Is there anything else I should know, or is it bolt off bolt on? Obviously some clean up work but that's a given.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You will probably want to loosen the sump so the front hangs down a little it's hard to get the front cover back in while not pushing the sump gasket into the sump with the timing cover.they don't normally fail gaskets on the front cover if its leaking the cover has possibly corroded away or the 3 bolts each side that go around the water outlets can leak if there's no sealant on the threads into the block

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Delco makes a great point, last time I did one was 2002 haha. Just about to do it again to remove balance shaft gear.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will probably want to loosen the sump so the front hangs down a little it's hard to get the front cover back in while not pushing the sump gasket into the sump with the timing cover.they don't normally fail gaskets on the front cover if its leaking the cover has possibly corroded away or the 3 bolts each side that go around the water outlets can leak if there's no sealant on the threads into the block
Starting to sound tricky. Mech said about three hours work. Should I take out the side bolts one by one a put some sealant on them? To loosen the sump does the front frame need to be dropped? How often do these corrode? I had no corrosion at all in the manifold, when I repaired that earlier in the week.[/QUOTE]