Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Trans help

ZiggyB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
Just got a recon motor in and the trans just s**t itself 200km into running it in, it's a 4hdd but is there anything else i need to know, my mechanic said i need all the model numbers, just wondering why? and what alternative i have in regards to similar trans (5hdd etc). Thanks

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Fairly sure the 5hdd is for the VS as that is an ecotec motor. You have a buick motor. Fairly sure the only gearbox as a replacement will be the 4hdd unless you want to go manual *hint hint*

ZiggyB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
cheers? Are all 4hdd's the same? I'd love to go manual but the mrs wont like it. stuff it i should do it anyway.lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
All 4HDD's should be the same...the 5HDD for the VS had a different plug which makes it very difficult to fit so try to get a 4HDD.

ZiggyB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
So i got back to the mechanic and he said there is a 4hdd (e) and a 4hdd (i) or (y) does anyone know the difference he didn't to seem to want to elaborate on it?? looking on here also the 5hdd is an option but just not using the extra pin or solenoid is it as simple as that??

ZiggyB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
Anyone? and how many hours to do the t5 conversion roughly, there is me and my brother and a third when and if needed??? Probably heading towards this option.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Could knock it over in a day or weekend, depending on the kind of tools, skills and equipment you have. Make sure you get a Manual tune and PCM before you start other wise you will be running into all sorts of problems.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
So i got back to the mechanic and he said there is a 4hdd (e) and a 4hdd (i) or (y) does anyone know the difference he didn't to seem to want to elaborate on it?? looking on here also the 5hdd is an option but just not using the extra pin or solenoid is it as simple as that??

Never heard the (e..i...y) options.......maybe he is taking the mickey out of you??? The extra pin in the later 4l60e controls the TCC I think...