Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr transmission swap help

paz_guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
lots but here for my VR
Hey all, ages ago i asked about swapping the auto in my vr v6 s2 sedan, with one from a vs s2 (4hdd to 7hdd) as i had a parts car with a good auto and couldnt afford another trans.

Well i finally put it in on the weekend,
Swapped the internal loom in the trans with the 4hdd one, and did the solenoid mod i was linked too, so the torque converter would lock up, filled it up to the correct level with nulon semi synthetic atf, fitted a new filter and the bush thing that holds it in and after starting the car and warming it up i have discovered that i only have two forward gears. (im pretty sure its 2nd and 4th)
Dont have a cel on or anything and reverse works fine.
Anyone know what it might be?

I have been told by the previous owner of the car the trans is from that it sometimes started in second if it was in drive, but would start in 1st if selected, so is it a solenoid issue or have i not done something internally i was supposed to or?

Thanks in advance :)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi might be in limp home mode? check out the video on this page 4L60E videos (common problems one) see if any of them fit your issues
also check your error codes

paz_guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
lots but here for my VR
Thanks wozza, i will check the trouble codes when i get home and watch the videos, will keep you posted :)

paz_guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
lots but here for my VR
Checked the diagnostic plug (cel) codes...

It would appear the computer thinks its all good. Watched it flash for like 10 minutes, only code 12 came up over and over again, so i drove it round the block and stomped on it in drive, (actually amazed, spun second gear a bit from stopped)
Hit the limiter, then seemed to slip alot and went into what i assume is 4th at 85 ish, foot off throttle (at 100km/h)
Selected 3, seemed to change down gave it a rev, seemed like neutral/massive slippage
Selected 2, it changed to 2nd as per normal selected first, no change.

Reverse works as it should, no slip/hesistation upon selection etc

Checked codes again afterwards and still only got code 12

Im convinced i've mucked something up within the trans wiring wise,

When i get a spare couple of daylight hours i'll pull the pan (lucky i fitted one with a drain plug)

And swap the two solenoids at the back (i believe these are for gear selection)
And the grey box thing with the exposed resistor or whatever it is (one with the 5 wire plug) from my old trans and see how it goes.

Its not possible to plug the 12 pin plug on the drivers side above the pan in backwards or anything is it?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
What solenoid mod did you do?

I wouldn't have swapped the loom as the connectors are often brittle and it's russian roulette when you start playing with them.
Really need to know what gears it is actually using, speed and rpm will help.
The symptoms don't describe a common problem or any that i have in books for a 4l60e.

paz_guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
lots but here for my VR
The staking of the torque converter lockup solenoid, the one you linked me to in my last thread,

I swapped the loom carefully, i didnt want to lookup/fiddle around with repinning the car's plug to suit the trans as i had to get the car out of my mates factory before monday so he could do his work, and i figured if i stuffed it up it wouldnt work (seems to have happened anyway haha)

I have a feeling im going to have to pull the pan and have a look.
Im going to guess that between the years the order of wires in the plugs has changed or the polarity of the solenoids has changed and me simply plugging in the connector has caused it to work incorrectly.

Is there a diagram somewhere of where and what each wire does in the transmission for the 4hdd and 7hdd that i can compare to whats in mine at the moment?
I could only find U.S ones when i looked and im not sure if that helps as they may have swapped to the next revision before us (found one for a 1994 yukon or something but it was 13 pin, not 12)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
No difference in the pinout, except 13 pin has an extra pin (main plug will still fit just means the engine loom side isn't populated)

Doubt it's possible to fit the plug on backwards but if you did it'd be throwing every fault code as nothing would line up in the plug.

133451d1327915177-not-engaging-gears-4l60eplug.jpg

Red dot is pin 13

attachment.php

Source: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=356962&page=2

Last edited:

paz_guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
lots but here for my VR
Hi, sorry for the belated reply,
Finally got around to getting the pan off and having a look, (just parked the car up and drove my club regd cars in the mean time as i had a heap of log book days left anyway)

Discovered the fault,
Seems as the solenoid for tcc lockup had fallen out, guess in my rush i had'nt pushed the clip in far enough or something.

Anyway shoved it back in, now it has all gears and drives alright.

I will mention though that the ecu logs a fault code for slippage in 3rd at 80km/h (manually selected)

Idk if the trans is slipping, certainly doesnt seem to be. But it logs the code and then the trans makes a strange whooshing noise in any gear untill you key cycle and then it goes away till it logs the code again (my old trans always made that noise in reverse, I assumed it was due to slippage)