Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Ute Full Respray

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
getting solvent pop is a direct result of either wrong application (applied too heavy or not flashed between coats) or too much reducer in the product.... you can get it with clear coats too.

I didn't really put much info into my previous post just thought i should add that first my bad.

Yeah that is the main reasons, although i was told a certain way to harden the paint i used (deltron ppg) I was told to use, First coat fast harder, Then second coat medium, Last coat slow.

Since i'm not a god at painting (yet ;) ) I decided to go fast 1st fast 2nd medium last coat to reduce my chance at getting runs in case i put it on to heavy using slow hardener
Doing this worked fine on everything besides the bonnet, Idk maybe i thought at the time i would put it on heavier since it was a flat surface and it would run.
Well boy i got a nice finish at the time but the next morning did i get a surprise.

Now that's the reason i got it in the bonnet, I got a little bit through out the car it can buff out its not serious just specs on the guards ect.
Now i'm not blaming the product, BUT we've had some solvent poping problems with deltron direct gloss. We've even had a rep tell us that they know it's easy to get solvent pop and its a problem they're trying to fix.
People take the piss out of ppg abbreviating it as "piss poor gloss" ect but i think its good i've just got to get use to it.

I was by myself after work or on weekends painting so i didn't really have some one there to ask questions, i usually ask them the next working day.
I was told by the head painter he never really uses fast hardener for direct gloss for this reason (especially if you bake it)

Now that's the reason i used the clear, of course it can get solvent pop but we know from experience it's ALOT less chance using clear then direct gloss and i didnt want to take that chance,
Ppg is expensive and i didnt really want to go again with dg and have a chance at getting the same result.

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Nice job. Colour choice will stand out from the crowd too.
Well done on only one run. When I paint, it's like that Sylvester Stallone movie: CliffHanger

Yeah that's what i was aiming for :)

Hahaha i use to aswell but i kept watching how people over lapped and went out of my way and watched a ton of videos and read up on it now i dont get much if any at all. which i think is good
The run i got is in a easy spot to fix so i'm happy it was there and not on the quarter panel haha

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
what gun you painting with? i find i get less problems with fast hardeners, everything is sweating and tacking off quicker. thus when you go to bake it your not forcing all the solvents out at once. the slower the products your using the more flash off time is needed, as well as medium wet coats needed over super wet heavy coats.

i always tack test the masking paper or plastic with my finger before applying the next coat. if its stringing off your finger its still moving, thus needs more sweat time. plus if its still moving your in danger of getting runs.

if you have to smash it on almost wet into wet to get the paint to flow out flatter than you either have to change paint brands or change your gun. P.S. id never mix different speed hardeners on a job, dont know that it would or wouldnt work, just saying its unnecessary... choose the correct speed for the weather and stick to it...

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
what gun you painting with? i find i get less problems with fast hardeners, everything is sweating and tacking off quicker. thus when you go to bake it your not forcing all the solvents out at once. the slower the products your using the more flash off time is needed, as well as medium wet coats needed over super wet heavy coats.

i always tack test the masking paper or plastic with my finger before applying the next coat. if its stringing off your finger its still moving, thus needs more sweat time. plus if its still moving your in danger of getting runs.

if you have to smash it on almost wet into wet to get the paint to flow out flatter than you either have to change paint brands or change your gun. P.S. id never mix different speed hardeners on a job, dont know that it would or wouldnt work, just saying its unnecessary... choose the correct speed for the weather and stick to it...

Sata 3000

What paint system are you using man?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Sata 3000

What paint system are you using man?
right now im using ppg cobra (cough cough **** system cough cough)

i knew you were going to say sata.... ditch it man, its a stone guard gun. i got a brand new sata 3000 digital as a gift when i finished my apprenticeship (won best 3 year) used it once and left in the box till last year when i sold it. you really have to know what your doing not to get solvent pop with a sata cause it just floods the paint on. if sata and ppg wernt bed buddies no one would use them.

bought my first iwata in 2005 never looked back. im using the iwata w400 WB1 with a 1.4mm tip. its made for water base paints but puts 2k paints on sooooooo nice. i use it for basecoat as well. you can get super flat finishes with it, and if you want a nasty peel like a sata all you have to do is turn the pressure down and hold it a foot off the panel. not only that iwata's are half the price and half the weight. made for little jap hands.

but this is just my personal opinion, i use what works for me...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
right now im using ppg cobra (cough cough **** system cough cough)

i knew you were going to say sata.... ditch it man, its a stone guard gun. i got a brand new sata 3000 digital as a gift when i finished my apprenticeship (won best 3 year) used it once and left in the box till last year when i sold it. you really have to know what your doing not to get solvent pop with a sata cause it just floods the paint on. if sata and ppg wernt bed buddies no one would use them.

bought my first iwata in 2005 never looked back. im using the iwata w400 WB1 with a 1.4mm tip. its made for water base paints but puts 2k paints on sooooooo nice. i use it for basecoat as well. you can get super flat finishes with it, and if you want a nasty peel like a sata all you have to do is turn the pressure down and hold it a foot off the panel. not only that iwata's are half the price and half the weight. made for little jap hands.

but this is just my personal opinion, i use what works for me...

Hmmm, interesting experience's. I also have an Iwata.

I painted cars for a few years, but have been out of it for over 6years apart from painting a few things on my car at a mate's shop after hours. I still paint alright, I just tend to lean towards too wet rather than too dry. Or I get impatient and smash it on too early, LOL

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Just a quick update haven't done much to the car been looking for some nice doors and found a set, a little bit of rust bubbling at the bottom of the white one the other door seems to be fine they're both pretty straight.
ended up getting a set of vy r8 clubsport wheels little bit gutter rashed but they'll be fine, they could also use with a polish which i'll get to later on.
tail gate arrived a few months ago it's abit beat up apparently it's "genuine" by weight it feels geniune, but doens't look like it lol. we left it to long to send back otherwise we would have so we're going to repair it.

rust bubbling at the bottom of the door under the sealer. 3rd picture was just a little clean up i did more to it to get more of it out haha, can't do much more with out cutting off bits of metal.

Picture of what the wheels look like (just a picture off google)

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Yeab good man, pc recently died waiting for replacement part and ill upload some more pics tailgates all together rope rails are on the whole front end is back together, got a new bonnet liner, filter, struts, water jets for windscreens, ordering two new rear bottom bumpers 120$ each :s so they're will be alot of pictures to come going to look good once its 100%