Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR UTE key won't turn

vn5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE
hi all

im having troubel starting my vr ute that i brought last week.
i was working on it today and got the key mixed up with my VX key, i tryed to turn it 1 or 2 times and then realised it was the wrong key,

so tryed with the right key but it still wont move(like the steering lock is on), it this sum kide of security thing or am i up for a new key barel, i put graphite powder in the barel but still nothin

any advice would be greatfull

thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have you tried moving the steering wheel a bit whilst trying to turn the key?

vn5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE
thank for the reply mate,

yea ive tryed moving steering wheel, but still no luck,( the steering isent locked btw)

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
thank for the reply mate,

yea ive tryed moving steering wheel, but still no luck,( the steering isent locked btw)

cheers

BTW, your first post says the steering is locked?....whatever.....you may need to pull the key barrel - check the how-to section of this forum as there is a detailed thread on doing this. Maybe, just maybe it has forced a tumbler into a wrong position and removing the barrel may let it slip back into position....I'd also try tapping gently the key barrel with a small hammer or punch - just enough to unjam the tumblers don't have the key in when you do this and use a SMALL hammer - also try shining a torch beam into the keyhole to see if a tumbler has fallen down and is jamming the works...use a mirror - you can also try inserting a thin blade and then lift each tumbler in turn to ensure they are not jammed (I think there are 5). Good Luck.

vn5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE
thank for the replys hako and hungman

i ended up hacking it with a grinder to get it off, so will order parts tomorrow,

how hard is it to put the barrel assy back on

cheers

Kioes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 3.8L
haha i had the same problem in my vr today, locked the steering movied the wheel abit nd give it a nice forceful rotation and it clicked over and started, pitty i couldnt comment this earlier >_<

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Usually the key sticking is a sign that it will stick permanently pretty soon, and this will happen at a BAD time........so it makes more sense to fix it now with a new barrel - from memory it's a tab at the bottom of the barrel that engages with the switch that breaks off. Once it breaks off completely the car is immoveable unless flat bedded.

Edit....new barrel and key is $40 plus post http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Commo...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588b2c85b8