Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Ute most practical tie down points - pictures if possible

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hi guys,

As mentioned in another thread, just picked up a 5L VR ute as a run around and a bit of a workhorse.
It currently has no tie down points for rope ect.

Does anyone have suggestions or pictures of where and how to install strong, practical tie down points. I am not worried about appearance, only efficiency. Am considering rails on the interior of the tray but am looking for suggestions. Pictures would also be appreciated.

Also, i was wondering the best system to restrain an incredibly dopy and strong dog on the tray ?(if you think I am talking about the misses, you are wrong:smoking:).

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated.

AlexR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR 'S' Ute
Theres... I think 2? U shape hooks on the inside of the tray, One on each side, I think on the side opposite to the tailgate? Either that or the tonneau hooks (they say not to use them, But personally tried and tested with bout a tonne worth of furniture and crap on the back tallboy, Wardrobe, etc). those are your basic 2 ideas, Can't remember if the 'sports bar' (the small bar supplied by Holden to keep water off the tonneau cover) the little inlets for the bar (bout half way gob smack each side of the tray) go all the way through or just for the bar, Although I THINK (don't quote me here) we've tied a dishwasher down on those alone.
Depends, I reckon nothing beats Ocky Straps on the tonneau hooks though+Tonnea cover covering it tied down.
What were you looking to tie down and transport mate? if you don't mind me asking, Towball+bar, that would be another idea if you've got one.

AlexR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR 'S' Ute
and as for the dog, a simple full body leash (it covers chest+throat) tied down to a couple of Tonneau hooks, alternatively, If you had the roll bar (the chrome one opposite the tailgate) you could use that, Doubt you'd have that though, Haven't seen it on any VR-VS utes around here atleast. Looking to get one though, I can get you some pictures in the morning if your keen, Its a wee bit dark at the moment.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
i went to bunnings and got some cheap draw/door handles and pop rivet then i the tray where i wanted them

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
PICS>> not of my ute http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...te-tie-down-points-pics-xmas-pressie-1516.jpg http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...72582d1255755143-vs-ute-tie-down-points-1.jpg http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...72583d1255755143-vs-ute-tie-down-points-2.jpg
Hi guys,

As mentioned in another thread, just picked up a 5L VR ute as a run around and a bit of a workhorse.
It currently has no tie down points for rope ect.

Does anyone have suggestions or pictures of where and how to install strong, practical tie down points. I am not worried about appearance, only efficiency. Am considering rails on the interior of the tray but am looking for suggestions. Pictures would also be appreciated.

Also, i was wondering the best system to restrain an incredibly dopy and strong dog on the tray ?(if you think I am talking about the misses, you are wrong:smoking:).

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Very old pics here but you can sorta see my tie downs,

Matt.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
do you run a tub liner (like the big plastic one) mate?

heaps easier to make tie down spots if you dont run one.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Are they strong enough? And how do you bolt the tie down points into the body?

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Berlina - Stock standard
As to the dog, make sure it's tied short enough it can't go over the edge - saw one tied long by his collar do that one day at an intersection as the car turned. Wasn't a good look as he hung from the side of the tray. Fortunately the driver realised quick smart and the dog seemed to come out ok.

String a line with a loop across the front of the tray or something to confine him/her towards the centre.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
can be done with or without tub liner(just hole saw some small holes in plastic tubliner ( nice and neat)
do you run a tub liner (like the big plastic one) mate?

heaps easier to make tie down spots if you dont run one.