Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ute recently lowered now making a noise??

tim278

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute
Hi guys,
I have very recently lowered my 94 Vr Commodore ute (yesterday), and all went well with springs etc. I put a new set of 19s on her the same day. Then I started het up and went to take the handbrake off and it was awfully tight to get off, and now that its off it feels like its not going all the way off and the handbrake light doesn't go off either? The ute rolls freely on a slight hill with the handbrake off as far as it will go also. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Also the ute has a rubbing Sorrta noise when driving as well now which is quite noticable. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the handbrake maybe? Any ideas on what might be causing this would be much appreciated!

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Re adjust handbrake. Check handbrake cables and check/adjust slack adjuster. Check handbrake light plunger.

What width tyres do you have on your 19s? Did you install an adjustable pan hard rod to centre the axle? You might be scrubbing in the rear wheel wells or the front strut assemblies.

tim278

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute
The tyres are 245 in width. I didn't put a new pan hard rod on but it mesures up centre and there is no noticable scrubbing marks in any wheel well or on struts. I readjusted the handbrake but still the same. It goes all the way off but has movement in handbrake itself after its let off. And the noise seems to be more af a howling Sorrta noise. I thought maybe wheel bearings but all are good.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Sounds like the hand brake cables hooked up/pinched somewhere or just badly adjusted due to the brakes sitting lower...jack up the rear and try and spin the wheels by hand they should spin freely with the hand brake off. If one wheel is harder than the other visually check the cable runs from that side from the wheel back to the chassis and see if its hooked up or been pulled from a guide/mount point.... if both wheel feel the same check from the Y connector back to the adjuster make sure the cable has a little slack when handbrake is off

Ps just reread the above...forgot to add if the cable is pulling tight when car is on the deck due to being lower,then you need to adjust the handbrake cable with the car on the deck. might be hard as its lowered so it will be a bit of trail and error, jack it up loosen it,drop it recheck

Last edited:

tim278

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute
Thanks for the replies, I have checked out all the handbrake lines and what not and re adjusted and cleaned up everything, the handbrake is now working as it should be perfectly. I am very happy with it. But still when I drive, its making the same noise. Sorrta sounds like its coming from the front you can hear it really easily when in the 20-50km range then it sounds as if it fades out or it just gets to fast to notice.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thanks for the replies, I have checked out all the handbrake lines and what not and re adjusted and cleaned up everything, the handbrake is now working as it should be perfectly. I am very happy with it. But still when I drive, its making the same noise. Sorrta sounds like its coming from the front you can hear it really easily when in the 20-50km range then it sounds as if it fades out or it just gets to fast to notice.
tail shaft centre hub bearing or uni joints? ... might be nosier due to angle change.....also check the tail shaft isnt rubbing on anything

tim278

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute
Checked tailshaft and uni's all seem fine and its not rubbing anywhete. The centre bearing feels fine its got no side to side movement either. I'm all outta ideas on what else it could be. And it still sounds as if its coming from the front of the vehicle

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Gut feeling still points to the front tyres rubbing the struts.

Depending on wheel offset, sometimes you can get away with it. But it most cases, having 245s on the front it will rub.

My ute is lowered on ultralows, 18s with 235/40s and an adjustable panhard. Never had an issue.

tim278

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute
Thanks for the help iv double checked the front tyres and there's at least a 20mm gap between tyre and strut. I'm stuffed with what else it could be, its not effecting driving but I don't wanna drive it to far while the noise is there.