Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Today's achievements:
- Reduce OD of 2 head stud "machined flat" washers (to fit the cyl 1 & cyl 8 outside studs)
- fixed engine rear earth wiring that was cut on the engine's way out.
- Head gaskets finally arrived :dance:
- Assembled valve & spring #16
- hoisted Engine & trans back into the car, lost about a litre of trans oil, (as the angle was far more extreme than when it came out.)
Engine back in.jpg
- wired up the trans, sat engine mount bolts in, bolted up the trans & centre bearing

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
UPDATE:

trimmed down 8 head studs to allow clearance of headers (trimmed 2x12mm shorter, and 6x 5-7mm shorter)
wrapped with electrical tape and ran/hooked up wiring for starter motor
L/H head is on and torqued down
Steering rack is all bolted up
Wiring is run from L/H front of engine bay to drivers foot-well, ready for oil pressure gauge. (also 99% hidden)
A/C & Power steering is bolted up, (just have to fix 2 annoying PITA brackets that hold lines, they will not align with holes while I'm holding the screw, Grrr)
AC & PS installed.jpg

Also, forgot to add in last post:
Torqued balancer to full setting, and re-torqued torque convertor bolts while my mate was over helping.

More updates to come. . . . .

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Trimmed 8 studs!!!! Should be only the 2 outers, IF your running the wrong kit.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Trimmed 8 studs!!!! Should be only the 2 outers, IF your running the wrong kit.

I know which 2 you mean (the original allen head ones) and they had 12mm taken off.
the other 6 were just touching the welds were pipe meets flange on the set of headers, so took a little off to guarantee clearance.
TBH the more I look at my headers the more i'm a bit meh about there overall fit & finish. I won't be changing them on this rebuild though.

edit: i'm using ARP 205-4602

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
not much to update, finished on L/H side of engine for now.
got those 2 annoying little brackets screwed down, Got most of the lifters soaking.
Modified l/h exhaust gasket, fitted l/h header.
Also dummy fitted Triple pulley, but that will come off so belts can fit on. Maybe tomorrow for that one (once I buy a new A/C belt)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Today's achievements:
- Triple pulley & A/c belt fitted. A/C belt adjusted and locked.
- R/H Studs & head fitted and torqued down
- R/H exhaust gasket modified and fitted. Header also fitted
- all lifters & pushrods fitted
- all Roller Rockers fitted, preloaded on lifter & posi-locked down (barely more than one full engine rotation to minimise wiping lifter bases)
- Spark plugs fitted and torqued to 20Nm
2014 03 16.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yesterday:
Manually pumped some oil through the pressure sender hole into the galleries (hopefully semi-priming the system ready for first start up)
Fitted & plugged in oil pressure sender
Also fitted and plugged in the Alternator and belt.
Today; De-greased an old intake manifold gasket to use as a template for modifying the new ones. (aka; I did F-all)

the "to-do" list is getting smaller.
Although, I am back to my 'what colour to paint intake manifold' question. It was going to colour match the new wheels, but I decided that it would be too PITA to get paint. (it was either premixed in a spray can with a 24hour expiry date. Or I had to get a tin of it, go to my mates paint shop, add hardener and paint in booth)
I'm thinking Matt Black may look good. Otherwise I will go back to the original red.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Intake Manifold is painted and mostly dry ( I had it under a heat lamp, but blew the bulb :( )
O2 sensor arrived today, and is fitted/plugged in. (with only just enough wiring on it, I'm not sure what they normally have though)
All wiring around fuse box & battery is sorted.
Power steering belt is fitted and tightened/locked in.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
O2 sensor arrived today, and is fitted/plugged in. (with only just enough wiring on it, I'm not sure what they normally have though)

I know exactly what you mean with the o2 wiring only just being long enough !!!

When I unwrapped my engine harness the other day I noticed you can very easily gain length on the o2 sensor and the earth wire on back of passenger side head, all you need to do is unwrap a bit of the old no doubt hard and crunchy tape around the wiring harness near where the o2 and earth connection come out the main harness and back towards the ecu direction you can simply pull the o2 sensior wires out a bit in fact u can pull them out as far as you want

This shows where it comes out the harness normally

anypyhav.jpg

And you can see how I emidintly gain length only being stoped because I have wraps of tape to hold it neatly together

ejesu7av.jpg

I was actually looking at extending the o2 wires and taking them down gear box harness and having connection down there and keeping the wires away from rubbing on extractors like they do in the factory set up

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Intake Manifold is painted and mostly dry ( I had it under a heat lamp, but blew the bulb :( )
All wiring around fuse box & battery is sorted.
Power steering belt is fitted and tightened/locked in.

Pics of manifold ?

Sound slike its getting pretty close now.