Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Good stuff mate !!!

And yeah the bolts bind up on back of water pump pretty bad if not cut with out the fan , did it chew it up much ???

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Forgot to note:
The Fiancee video'ed the whole run in procedure incase I wish to re-watch it later. (there were some interesting Geyser's when the thermostat opened)

Temp went quite high, but dropped and equalized well when thermostat opened, rose and dropped again when I used the cabin fan on warm, more geysers.
No ugly noise's. After first 20 seconds of hunting, it quietened down and would sit at 2000rpm really well and smooth.
Speedo sender wiring may have been getting electrical interference, because it was reading ~15-20kph for the last 5minutes of 2k free revving.

All in all it Sounded good, and I am very happy. There seems to be an oil leak around L/H rocker cover, but it only had 2 screws holding it in so I'm not really surprised (the other side had 4)
Tran's still needs topping up, radiator needs fitting and filling, spark leads need tiding, and a few other little things.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Good stuff mate !!!

And yeah the bolts bind up on back of water pump pretty bad if not cut with out the fan , did it chew it up much ???

As far as I am aware, the belt slipped on the pulley (and got freakin hot, as well as smokey) but we shut it down reasonably quick so I do not believe any long term damage was down. I will get a torch behind there tomorrow and see if I can notice any gouging of the water pump housing.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Yeah I would imagine it would jam up and cause belt slip or if it did spin it would chew the crap out of water pump, when I first removed my fan some 9 years ago I realized it binded on the ribs on front of pump and cut the bolts back then

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You're probably right there lol. a 30 second edited clip would be nice...just to here the beast.

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
just start it up again and take a shorter clip. :)
perhaps a little burnout for the captive audience...

well done too. you must be stoked to have it back together and running again. awesome achievement doing it all yourself.
can't wait to see it. bet it sounds awesome!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
just start it up again and take a shorter clip. :)
perhaps a little burnout for the captive audience...

well done too. you must be stoked to have it back together and running again. awesome achievement doing it all yourself.
can't wait to see it. bet it sounds awesome!

Thanks Beaker. No doubt you will see it at the drags if not sooner (when in Auckland for tuning) I will have to line you up at Fathers day Drags. :poke:

On another note;
Tonight, I tidied spark leads, fitted all rocker box bolts, other stuff, fitted polished covers. But unfortunately found a small possible error with new radiator, I have emailed the manufacturer/supplier for confirmation.
Progress photo to date:
20140326_210707.jpg

Remaining:
- Fit Radiator & Shroud, fill with fluid,
- fit trans/torque converter splash cover
- fit bonnet.
- top up trans
- warm & change engine oil (still unconfirmed what oil I will run, might go to something thinner than what was previously used)
- double check spark timing. adjust if necessary