Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Looking good Duce.

Saw there was a vid of the missus. Or did I misinterprete this?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Took it for a sneaky drive up the road. 10houses 1 way (cul-de-sac), 10 houses the other, then back to the garage.

Drives smoothly, everything seems to work as it should. Won't idle properly coming up to a corner, so a few rolling restarts, (especially in and out of the garage). The CPU is probably still learning a good IAC setting, and I imagine the tune is a little out.
Wicked throttle response though compared to stock.
Exhaust sounds grumpy as (dumped at diff) on light throttle and quite lumpy when I can get it to idle.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Latest update:

gave it an oil change last weekend, started it a few days later but had lost all oil pressure. The next day I removed and repacked pump, reassembled and fired it up. Instant oil pressure.
I better keep an eye on this in the future in-case this gremlin comes back.
Starter motor now makes a funny noise too, hmmmm

Wound the Idle screw in slightly to increase airflow at idle and help the cam out.
Took the car for about a 8-10km drive stopping to chill halfway,
Got home and found I have a coolant leak. I am unsure of the radiator cap rating (as it is not written on it) and do not feel any real heat in the overflow, so do not think that it is being used. (I have had a similar issue with previous vehicle).
I will ring the manufacturer next week for some info about it. (maybe it is a cap for V6 engines which is too high)

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Latest update:

gave it an oil change last weekend, started it a few days later but had lost all oil pressure. The next day I removed and repacked pump, reassembled and fired it up. Instant oil pressure.

I had the exact same thing happen to me before all my stuff happened, changed oil left it a couple days till I got stuff finished and when I started I had no pressure

Repacked the pump and instant pressure, 2 weeks later no pressure again that's when I contacted Pavtek and all my low pressure **** got bad

Keep a eye on that pressure, what is pressure at idle ???

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I had the exact same thing happen to me before all my stuff happened, changed oil left it a couple days till I got stuff finished and when I started I had no pressure

Repacked the pump and instant pressure, 2 weeks later no pressure again that's when I contacted Pavtek and all my low pressure **** got bad

Keep a eye on that pressure, what is pressure at idle ???

Haven't got Gauge sender unit mounted yet; so am not sure of pressure's.
I will definitely be taking it easy until I can watch these things. I think my next oil change will be going back to HPR15 penrite, which is a little thicker.
I just need to sort the smoother base tune so I can at least drive it around to get another 800km on the clock before the next oil change, which is when I plan to fit the oil take off and remote filter/gauge sender.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Further to the water leak story:
Radiator cap is rated at 0.9bar, which is 90kpa. (stock V8 is 100kpa, stock V6 is 135kpa)
Top Radiator hose was not tight enough, that was Leak 1 fixed.
2nd weep: Thermostat housing had incompatible sealant used on the O-ring, I have now re-done this with a sealant I know will work.
3rd weep: Seems to be coming up R/H rear cylinder stud. So I will check torque, and possibly remove it and reseal for hopefully a better result.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
wound up the idle so the car doesn't stall and then drove to the servo today to chuck $40 in the car,
The three leaks seem to be successfully fixed, but in the process I created a weep out of the lower radiator hose which is now nipped up a little tighter.

While the engine was warm I checked trans fluid level, (about 400ml down) and the ignition timing.
It seems that the plugs are firing about 10 or so degrees too soon, so I will have to attend to that later this week, and wind the idle down a fraction.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you put a light on it in diagnostic mode

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeap,
Also, I turned the dial on the back of the timing light close to 28deg before the timing mark looked to come back to zero