Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found the OEX starter to be a better unit than the factory one, my new one really whipped the engine over. That was on a V6 so presumably an OEX V8 one will perform better than a factory unit. I bought mine from Ashdown-Ingram. Not sure if NZ has them though, but they are way cheaper than Rip-Every-Poor-C____-Off.......

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I found the OEX starter to be a better unit than the factory one, my new one really whipped the engine over. That was on a V6 so presumably an OEX V8 one will perform better than a factory unit. I bought mine from Ashdown-Ingram. Not sure if NZ has them though, but they are way cheaper than Rip-Every-Poor-C____-Off.......
I'll keep that in mind.
I was wondering if V6 and V8 were interchangeable. As my brother has a buick starter excess to requirement. And my mate may need the bosch one back that I just fitted.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, can't tell you if V6 is the same,. I could if I had the box but it was one of the first things I replaced on the old ute.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Starter appears to be dead.
I can hear it throw out, but that is about all it does.
It's been cranking slowly at random and usually when warm for a while now.
Also sometimes sounds like a dropsaw when cranking which isn't good.

I'll advise what I find....
So Machter starter is junk.
IMG_20210622_210126.jpg

Floor tested and it threw out, didn't spin, and tried to weld the jumper lead to the terminal.
IMG_20210622_210142.jpg

Luckily I had a mates bosch starter here so tested that and threw it in.
The car now starts, even if it cranked slowly - probably from all the abuse the battery got earlier today on the dud starter. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Machter......... Ohhhhhhh........... Yeah get yourself an OEX. Gen Bosch will be a lot more when the OEX is a decent unit from my experience. Plus coming from Ashdown I have always found the gear they sell be good quality.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think V6 and V8 starters are the same.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I don't think V6 and V8 starters are the same.
Bolt hole spacing and centre location is very very close if not the same. But V6 uses metric bolts so did not dummy fit at this stage. Although I might try later on my spare block just for interest sake.

In other news: the car still cranked slowly this morning after battery had been fully charged, so decided it needed more investigation. Started with checking voltage at purple wire - it was good. Checked voltage at positive starter terminal and it was a bit low while cranking.
Ran an additional temporary power wire to the starter, and it didn't really make much difference.
So pulled the borrowed bosch starter out again and disassembled the motor (didn't touch solenoid) - it was a bit dirty and dusty in there, and some brushes had low spring tension on them.
Cleaned it out, greased stuff, fitted brushes from Chinese starter and refitted to the car.
All seems alot better now.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, just realised I forgot to show pictures of the Chernobyl starter motor.
Here is the stator (correct term?):
IMG_20210623_193842.jpg

And the smashed up magnets:
IMG_20210623_193923.jpg

And mostly reassembled so as to keep the good bits together
IMG_20210623_194015.jpg