Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 auto trans over pressurising

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Hi crew having a few dramas
I keep fixing leaks in the transmission but then the next ‘weakest link’ starts to leak. Now have noticed the whole system is pressurising itself hence the leaks. I have replace the breather hose and if I blow down it fluid will come out the dipstick, but if I blow down the dipstick no air or fluid for that matter will come out the breather.... help it’s doing my head in. To the point I’m currently rigging up a dodgy hose onto the dipstick tube to a ‘breather’ milk bottle....

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi crew having a few dramas
I keep fixing leaks in the transmission but then the next ‘weakest link’ starts to leak. Now have noticed the whole system is pressurising itself hence the leaks. I have replace the breather hose and if I blow down it fluid will come out the dipstick, but if I blow down the dipstick no air or fluid for that matter will come out the breather.... help it’s doing my head in. To the point I’m currently rigging up a dodgy hose onto the dipstick tube to a ‘breather’ milk bottle....
have you overfilled it?

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Probably a blocked filter in the trans.
Should get the transmission serviced.
Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I too would be checking the fluid level as a first port of call.

How long since it has been serviced, what does the fluid look like (colour and smell)?

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
I serviced it when I replaced the front seal. New filter/oil pan gasket. No not overfilled. Local trans joint reckons they are common for the oil pump housing to warp and not seal correctly therefore pressurising the whole system. So secondhand trans time. Thanks for input lads

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmm. Probably should have led with that in the OP as it does put a whole different spin on it when you mention the problem started after the trans has been out of the car. If the pump has been touched than yes it is very likely something hasn't gone back correctly.

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Ah no mate, pump was not touched... Trans came out to replace the front seal. Didn’t realise by that stage it was leaking because of over pressurising. The bush behind the seal was fine so I left the pump alone.