Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 auto ute won't change to 3rd

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Hey all, our auto ute will change from 1st to 2nd, but that's it, it stays there.

Just curious, are there any other problems it might be other than the solenoid? Just so I can get straight to finding the problem. I just thought I'd pick the brains of all you experienced guys out there.

Cheers,

Dano

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
does it rev out really high in first before it changes to second?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Thanks for your replies... no it changes from 1st to 2nd normally, and there are no fault codes at all, I checked and got just 6x 1/2, so there's nothing that's been found by the computer at all

Dano

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
you need to let it run for longer. by 6x do you mean you watched it go - -- - -- - --? or did it flash 12 6 times?
when the car flashes codes it goes in batches so it shows 12 3 times first and then every other code 3 times each and then 12 again 3 times

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above because if it is a solenoid it will log a code PLUS usually turn the engine light on....another trick which rarely works but is worth a try is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so - this resets a few things. Also is your speedo OK and/or speed alert? Haven't been playing with the TPS (throttle position sensor)?

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
Thanks again, I'll try disconnecting the battery, and I have do another dash, so I might change it to see if the speedo affects it. I do know that the speedo isn't 100%, and the tacho's stopped (as they all tend to do at some point) so it'll be worth doing anyway.

I think I'll end up changing the solenoid anyway, it's my strongest suspicion. Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thanks again, I'll try disconnecting the battery, and I have do another dash, so I might change it to see if the speedo affects it. I do know that the speedo isn't 100%, and the tacho's stopped (as they all tend to do at some point) so it'll be worth doing anyway.

I think I'll end up changing the solenoid anyway, it's my strongest suspicion. Cheers.

If your speedo is suspect it probably will affect gear changes as the trans uses the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) as well as other sensors to know what gear to select.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
I had the exact same problem a month ago. Turned out to be the throtle position sensor (tps).

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
I had the exact same problem a month ago. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor (tps).
...mmm. Tah, I'll check it out. Easier than dropping the pan and cheaper too. At least I got a few days off now to check it out.

Thanks.

Dan

Dan