Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Comm, Due to re Gas the Air Con

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So how do they remove the old oil then? Of cause it all gets vacuumed out so they put the correct weight of oil and gas according to specs. I prefer new gas over recycled gas which could be many different gases as who knows what people put in them.
You don't remove the oil. If you have a liquid in a vacuum chamber it stays there. Only gas can be removed by a vacuum pump.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I've had 2 VS, one for 20 years, the other for 10. Between them, replaced compressor, filter-drier, condensor, and umpteen TX valves. It's wishful thinking if you want just a regas. It will leak out again, if you don't get the cause fixed.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had 2 VS, one for 20 years, the other for 10. Between them, replaced compressor, filter-drier, condensor, and umpteen TX valves. It's wishful thinking if you want just a regas. It will leak out again, if you don't get the cause fixed.....
corroded liquid line and condenser are probably the most common problems with the VR and VS AC systems. Mad not to change a receiver dryer every regas, only adds 30 bucks, if that to the job and you reduce the risk of it exploding. I'm using an old TX valve and AC was regassed well over 2 years ago and is still icy cold. Next service TX is on the list.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You don't remove the oil. If you have a liquid in a vacuum chamber it stays there. Only gas can be removed by a vacuum pump.
Ok so its so, so how do you know if you need to add oil then? Did you know if you loose 10% of gas in your system you loose 40% of your oil getting back to your compressor so your compressor will start to get damaged, you wont experience cooling changes until you loose 40% of gas but your doing damage by starving your compressor of oil. So Shane do you add extra oil if there a bad leak or only when you replace your compressor, drier, condenser unit?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s-and-myths/&usg=AOvVaw0_0lY9brY0UkOJyzVGtar7

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
corroded liquid line and condenser are probably the most common problems with the VR and VS AC systems. Mad not to change a receiver dryer every regas, only adds 30 bucks, if that to the job and you reduce the risk of it exploding. I'm using an old TX valve and AC was regassed well over 2 years ago and is still icy cold. Next service TX is on the list.

I changed out my TX valve, compressor, drier but only thing I didn't do is the drier so it didn't get moisture in before the re-gas so I left it to Auto Plus to do it. Still not super cold, I took it back a month latter for a free test for leakage and it was fine no pressure lose, 134a isn't as cold as the Oz chill the only problem I was told Oz chill will do damage to the system.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ok so its so, so how do you know if you need to add oil then? Did you know if you loose 10% of gas in your system you loose 40% of your oil getting back to your compressor so your compressor will start to get damaged, you wont experience cooling changes until you loose 40% of gas but your doing damage by starving your compressor of oil. So Shane do you add extra oil if there a bad leak or only when you replace your compressor, drier, condenser unit?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiL_t3m25vmAhWBWX0KHYgrChsQtwIISTAE&url=http://autotechac.com/ac-facts-and-myths/&usg=AOvVaw0_0lY9brY0UkOJyzVGtar7
Adding oil to a system is a black art. You don't loose 10% oil from a gas leak I would say 1-5% depending on how bad the leak is. Have you ever dye tested a hvac system? 90% of the oil stays in the compessor when you replace the compressor they come prefilled.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Adding oil to a system is a black art...
Servicing AC systems is a regulated and well defined process. Problem is, it’s costly to do things correctly and by the book. So businesses seem to cut corners to reduce costs and gain customers. Oddly, for the most part, it works well.

But I wouldn’t say adding oil is a black art. If it is a black art, doesn’t that make the aircon techs witch doctors :eek::p

Last edited: