Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 cranks over but won't start

Chris-05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
My commodore will crank over but won't start, have narrowed it down to no spark, have changed the coils an dfi module, the main fuse, have tested the wires with a test light and it has power every were even the plug that goes into the dfi module has power to it but car has no spark, please help me.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Are there any error codes, check for any logged error codes first up, this is very easy to do and only takes a minute.. In a lot of cases , these codes can point you to whats wrong.. If no codes show, check all the main wiring connectors for corroded or backed out pins. The wiring connector going to the the DFI module is prone to corroding, so carfully check all the connectors inside that. If theres no other obvious problems and everything seems ok, carefully check the wiring connectors and pins etc on the ECU, which is located on the passenger side under the kick panel. If these are ok, try another known working ECU.

Chris-05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
I don't have a scanner to check codes, if I buy one what sort would you recommend to do the job?

Chris-05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
Also the car had spark before, had issues with the engine so got a engine off a mate was out of a vp commodore put everything on how it was on my engine and put it in and now the sparks gone, if that helps you solve my problem.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I don't have a scanner to check codes, if I buy one what sort would you recommend to do the job?

Did you read through the link I posted up above? You dont need a scanner to check these codes. You can simply check these error codes via the check engine light on the dash, it will flash a certain amount of times, showing you what codes are set (if any).. You just need a paperclip or small piece of wire and a couple of minutes of your time. Scroll down through the posts in that link and have a look at the pics posted up, they show you exactly what you need to do.

Chris-05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
Done the paper clip trick it brought up codes 59,67 and 82 wich I believe is all codes for the transmission. Would they stop the car having spark? I'm going to check all the connectors tomorrow n see how I go.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep, all auto trans codes. Carefully check the auto trans wiring and connectors.
Code 59 is "Fluid temperature signal (voltage low)".
Code 67 is "Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit".
Code 82 is "1 to 2 shift solenoid circuit".

You said that you changed everything over to a VP engine from your engine, did you happen to change over the crank angle sensor or the harmonic balancer. The VP engine needs a balancer from a VP, as some other model balancers will fit on, but they have differently spaced interuptor blades on the back of the balancer, so they wont trigger the ECU/DFI module correctly, which causes a no spark condition.. Ive had a neighbour with a VP that ran into this problem when fitting a different balancer, and he had to get the correct VP model balancer.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yes, make sure the balancer and CAS are for a VP. If the balancer is different, the CAS is most probably different too. I just always thought these V6 balancers were the same until I saw this happen with the neighbours car.. When my neighbour returned the balancer to the wreckers, they told him there are different ones for different models and that he was given the wrong one for a VP. They showed him how the interruptor blades are different and have a different gap width..