Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V6 Engine Blew up??

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
I was raced my mate 6 times and averaged 190km, the good thing is that i bet him ahaha ,but now i think i blew up my motor because there was a top end sound rattling and my mate said my bearing are gone becasue i didnt have much oil and cause my car had done 330,000,000km.. So im just wondering if its blown up and what other engine i should put in it.. I wana keep this car because i resprayed it not long ago, and its got 4 pin lsd and 3:4:5 gears?? PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!

Should i put a v6 or v8? is there huge difference in petrol?

DOES IT COST HEAPS TO DO A CONVERSION, Or should i just keep the same type of engine?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Putting a V8 in means you need a compliance modification plate as well as the motor, gearbox and ECU to suit. Staying with the V6 is the cheapest/easiest and should cost well under $1000 from a wrecker if you fit it yourself. My opinion only.

macka75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim
stick to a v6, sounds like u would kill yourself in a 8. and v6's are cheaper to replace when u blow them all up.

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
330 million k's from a motor, thats not bad.

yeah not bad at all... stop and think you wouldnt be in this mess if you had a 0 - 60 kmh drag. still legal and is near impossible to break your car. go to a wreckers or try gumtree you can usually pick engine and trans up for about $400. dont bother about an 8 the littel extra power is not worth the trouble

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
it still moves at 330,000,000km... lol woah!!! .. thats like making an old nanna move 50 bags of cement in a few seconds!

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Yeah 330,000,000km but i have looked after it alot, but as soon as i got my lsd and gears, been thrashing it lol.. could you guys please answer me the following questions, im just so stressed out at the moment

Which engines have better performance vs v6 ecotec or vr v6?
Which place is best to take it to the install me a engine and trans? how much all up ,incl labour and parts
Can i make more damage to my car if i run it in gears instead of leaving it in drive?
How would i know if the engine is in good condition, and has done the allocated kms on it?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
To give you a basic idea on pricing mate i recently recenetly replaced my engine in my vu (ecotec v6) with a brand enw engine from southcott motors ($2200) + had the engine installed along with a new clutch for $800 from BTP Automotive but i removed the previous engine myself. I also paid for the bits and pieces like oil gaskets hoses etc too. All up i spent around $3700. Car runs faultless and im very happy with the job done. You get what you pay for.

Deneo

Lock your Daughters up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Statesman
Dragging at 190kms? *sigh.
Don't put an 8 in or as stated above you'll probably kill yourself.
From previous Experiences a well looked after Buick 3800 will flog any Ecotec 9/10 times.
Try Egay or something like that, you can pick a Motor up for cheeeep as chips.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Down low power Buick, Up High Ecotec

Source: Owning both Buick and Ecotecs