Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V6 Engine Blew up??

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeh i agree also my last car vr had heaps more power than vt
The VT is about 100 kg's heavier that the VR/VS with pretty much the same engines.It should be slower.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
The VT is about 100 kg's heavier that the VR/VS with pretty much the same engines.It should be slower.

There completely different engines actually mate.

The VN-VR ran the Buick, and the VS and VT ran the Ecotec.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
There completely different engines actually mate.

The VN-VR ran the Buick, and the VS and VT ran the Ecotec.
Jeez,we all know they are different engines,actually buick made the ecotec type of engine too in some US cars..Anyway what I was getting at is they are both EFI V6 engines with similar power ratings and stuff(a bit of difference but not that much)they all go pretty much the same.And when the engine is put into a heavier car it goes slower and usually uses more fuel too.I wasnt peing picky about a few kilowatts here or there.Ive also driven a few of both models and the VT V6 is slower than some of the older models Ive driven.It has to be the extra weight.Its well documented that the VT was 100 kg or thereabouts heavier than the VS.100 kg makes a big difference.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Yes. They're both EFI V6 engines. But that's got nothing to do with it. They're not similar motors, they're completely different. And the way they make their power different.

The buick has a heck of a lot more low down torque, and lacks up high.

The ecotec on the other hand, lacks the low down punch, but has it up high.

...and, yes, I know 100kg makes a difference

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A different camshaft profile alone will make any engine do either,low down power delivery or a different cam profile to move the powerband up the rev range..Engine management tinkering can do the same thing..If you think they are completely different then you go on thinking that.Their setups are similar.Read a spec sheet on the two.Theres not a real lot of difference at all.Very similar engines.You make it sound like the difference is that big its like the difference between a 4 and an 8 cylinder engine.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
The deck height on an ecotec is less it will make the motor weigh less. The heads from an ecotec will though bolt up to a non ecotec V6. The exhaust and intake on 5 & 6 cylinders are the other way round compared to an ecotec. The fireing on the buick is batch the firing on the ecotec is sequential...all in all though they are both nearly the same motor, except for a few minor enhancments.