Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR V6] help, engine lamp on, no power

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
It seems this problem is getting progressively worse, a few weeks ago the engine light would flash or stay on for a minute or two after i'd been driving a bit hard. Sometimes it would stay on and turning the engine on and off would fix it.

Just today it was getting driven pretty hard, all good but 5 minutes down the road the engine lamp comes on and all the power is gone, only like 2nd gear or something. Pulled over, turned the car off for 5 minutes and she's good to go.

What's the deal? What is going to break in my car? I'd like to get it fixed before it becomes a bigger problem, I'm sure the engines can take more of a beating than I give them so there must be a sensor or something buggered (I don't drive THAT hard).

thoughts/ideas/comments/queries?

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
thoughts/ideas/comments/queries?

tried checking your error codes? the engine warning light doesnt come on for no reason!
This will tell you what the problem is.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
code 33 will be the map sensor

Last edited:

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
i always use new sensors, why take the chance with a 2nd hand one that could be no better than yours??

I would do another check and find out what the fault is for sure 1st.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The loss of power indicates you are in Limp Home Mode which usually comes on when the transmission has a fault. Seeing as you say you were driving "pretty hard" when it happened I'd also lean towards the problem being transmission.
Anyway, do the codes test again as westbad suggests.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
sounds like trans to me as well. how many k's on the car?? all vr/vs autos seem to go mid to late 200xxx

scott