Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 injectors won't fire

Chris_1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
Hi all

I have a vr v6 that has been parked in the shed for about 10 years that I'm trying to get going. It did run when parked and so far it cranks, has spark, and does run for a moment when a some ether is sprayed in the intake.

The security led goes out when the doors are unlocked or the key is turned, that's one I remembered how to check. The tacho in the cluster doesn't move when cranking which is different to what I remember.

There is one plug on the loom I can't find a home for and cant find in the wiring diagram. It comes off the main loom along with the iac and tps plugs, has two round female sockets and is fed by 1 black and 1 purple wire, black wire has 12v with ign on.

I have tried going through the Gregory's manual but It's not helping. I have power on both terminals of the injector connectors, and the test light illuminates when run across the terminals which the book says is a short to earth but I can't find anything in the loom. Light does not pulse when cranking.

I teplaced the crank sensor just before it was parked previously as I've had this problem before but can't remember what the fix was...

The car has a haltech so I can't do the fault codes trick and the laptop I used to use to hook up to it doesn't work anymore and I'm trying to find one with the old com port.

Any advice or next steps anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Photo of the plug in question ?,
And colours of thew wires

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
It sounds very much like fuel,
Does the Fuel pump fire up ? (no pun intended),
possible the fuel pump has died while its lying down ?
Check the voltage at the fuel pump.

Chris_1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6
Photo of the plug in question ?,
And colours of thew wires
Attached, and definitely has fuel I removed an injector and made sure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-180320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-180320_Gallery.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 78

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Attached, and definitely has fuel I removed an injector and made sure

Is there enough fuel pressure ?

Assuming its on the Left side of the motor ?
Hmm, 2 wire sensor/device, (Purple and Black), I don't recall that one, and I had a Oct 1996 VS (S2)
May have to locate the Service Manual to check the schematic diagram of the engine bay loom,
Service manual is floating around various threads.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The car has a haltech so I can't do the fault codes trick and the laptop I used to use to hook up to it doesn't work anymore and I'm trying to find one with the old com port.
Without being able to look into the Haltech's config or status I'd try see if you can get a VR ECU somewhere cheap if it's still got the original loom and loom plug. They don't need to be linked like the VT+ does, but it needs to be from a VR as the security signals are different. Without knowing anything about the Haltech, it could have used an internal battery that's gone flat to store it's config (or charge from the car may have been used), or for something that old some of the components inside could have deteriorated. Probably unlikely, but it eliminates a lot of variables.

Also probably worth asking, is the Haltech grounded? It might get its ground from being bolted to the car if it's not attached to anything and is flopping around in the wind at the moment.