Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 over full

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dipstick on the Buick is about 5-6mm past the full mark. Im not going to worry about it. However i want to throw a 300ml bottle of lifter free up. Is it an issue if say i am 500mls over full on a Buick engine? If it is i will wait until i knock up 2000kms on the new oil which should drop the level by 200mls.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

Not sure if this is going to be much of an issue because when they released Ecotech they ended up raising the High level mark on the dipstick by about 6mm in the Series II and they didn't change the sump at all, so from that I can't see it being any problem at all. You just don't want the oil level up too high so that the crank slaps into the oil, but I can't see this being the case here.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks mate. I might see if I can get any oil to drain out of the filter when I head home this weekend. I don't want to drain any from the plug as I could end up losing too much. If I get nothing from the filter I will drop in the free up regardless. I want to give it lots of time to clean the lifters this time round, instead of just 400km.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I don't want to drain any from the plug as I could end up losing too much.

If you loosen the plug a half dozen turns or so, you should be able to drain some in a controlled manner. Probably easier than making a mess by pulling the filter to be honest :)

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Just put a long straw down the dipstick tube and suck the excess oil out

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
500ml overfull? not a problem me thinks, I overfill the Calais but at least that much every fill.

Check the oil level with the engine hot and within minutes of shutdown to get an accurate operating oil level.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Update I ended up taking the filter off twice and drained maybe 200mls. Put the Nulon gear in and it's now again about 5-6mm above the full mark. Strangest thing happened though, after about 3 mins the engine shut down. It did the same thing last time I added a bottle of gear. I then drove over 300km and the stalling never happened again. Weird I would like to know why this occurred? Seems too coincidental that the lifter free up was added, no more than 10mins prior to each stalling.