Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 running lean.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Now I am getting four codes, 13, 31, 44 & 56 using paperclip. I am really leaning towards a faulty ground. I am thinking the method of repair above is the go. Without having the a proper scan tool I'm only speculating but the times where I get CEL's are around 2k and 60kph with little or no throttle, it happens pretty much whenever I drive in that rev range and speed, therefore I am thinking it is more to do with heating and ground and it quite possibly is not actually leaning out.
I'm almost tempted to remove the cluster and paint the CEL light black..... lol But that will be a last resort...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you had an aldl cable and laptop you could log the ecu and see what the issue is and see how well the o2 is working and if it is too lean.
Need to wait until pay day and see if I have enough to grab an Envyous Customs cable and software this week. If I get one will it tell me real data or is it going to be relying on information from a potentially improperly functioning O2 sensor?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Will be able to see what' going on if its got o2s cooling down or just lean and tell you how close the tune is from the fuel trims

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I’m having similar issue with my v6 Vq, code 13 so tried a new o2 with same results. Added an extra earth no more code 13 but now has 44 lean. Have just put new fpr on as old one was leaking from vac line. No vac leaks or manifold leaks. Thinking it may be the iac valve playing up.

Subscribing to topic as this is interesting.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just ordered an Envyous Customs ALDL. Hopefully figure this out soon, as I have four days off work next week. Bris, did you splice into the harness or did you do the method above and provided a new ground to the ECU?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’m having similar issue with my v6 Vq, code 13 so tried a new o2 with same results. Added an extra earth no more code 13 but now has 44 lean. Have just put new fpr on as old one was leaking from vac line. No vac leaks or manifold leaks. Thinking it may be the iac valve playing up.

The leak you mentioned Bris, was it a pipe that goes to the canister? I just noticed one of the pipes on mine had snapped off. Can't be 100% sure when this occurred. It is possible that the headers got hooked up upon installation and yanked it off and I just never noticed it. I'm often refitting the top pipe (other one) as it doesn't stay on properly as it has had the wrong size adapter hose fitted at the canister and it can slip off with the tiniest bit of fiddling in the engine bay.

Anyone have an idea if this broken line could cause the engine to run lean??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question are VP's and VR's the same with the canister set up? I might not be able to get a VR one from the self-serve wrecker but will try.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I just jammed an extra wire in the earth side of the o2 plug and earthed it under the alarm horn.
Vp vr canister I believe is the same.
I’ve had my vac line from charcoal canister rub thru on the idler pulley before made no difference with a hole or repaired.
The leak I had was fuel coming out of the fuel pressure reg vac line it’s a good indication it’s stuffed.

I recently put on a 65mm tbody, thought this may have given the lean code so put 60mm back on with no difference.

I pulled injectors out not so long ago, is it possible it’s pulling air from the lower oring if not seated correctly?
Im running out of ideas. It’s currently cheaper to drive my 5L

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So as i mentioned elsewhere the valley cover gasket was leaking. I suspect it was pressuring my cooling system but can't be 100% until i allow the engine to vac the coolant a couple of times and see how hard the top hose gets after a couple of cold starts and up to full pressure. Now I'm wondering if it is possible that the lean codes i was getting were related to a leaking manifold gasket? Is it possible that the leaks could be the cause? I have reset the ECU, but it could be a few days before I go for decent drive. I was getting CELs 10 or 12 times in a 1.5hr trip prior to replacing the gaskets.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

What engine is in your VQ, Bris? Think I have fixed the lean issue with mine. Just drove 120km and no lean codes after resetting the ECU. I still have 13 and plan to sort out the ground issue but that can wait. Turns out I think my lean codes were being caused by a worn out valley cover gasket. The gasket was in real bad shape and the inside of the intake from the TB right to the inlet ports were black. I also had oil mixing with coolant at the rear of the manifold. I have only used paperclip to scan codes as it was easy to do that quickly before I muck around and load the laptop with the software but so far it's looking good.
I still have error 31 and am wondering if my Envyous Customs scan tool could actually turn off VATS in the memcal??