Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V6 Running Rich?

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
Hi All,

My VR had an error message come up on the dash. I took it down to the auto sparky and he advised the code was fuel error in which the car is running rich at times.

I know when it happens I reckon because when under load say on a highway, when I want to overtake and plant my foot the auto kicks back fine yet there is slight pause and then a rush of power as if the injectors just open up.

I have had the injectors done recently and it didn't fix the fault :ranting: .

Could it be fuel pressure regulator?

Cheers
Struggo

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

My VR had an error message come up on the dash. I took it down to the auto sparky and he advised the code was fuel error in which the car is running rich at times.

I know when it happens I reckon because when under load say on a highway, when I want to overtake and plant my foot the auto kicks back fine yet there is slight pause and then a rush of power as if the injectors just open up.

I have had the injectors done recently and it didn't fix the fault :ranting: .

Could it be fuel pressure regulator?

Cheers
Struggo

The code on the dash might have been for the oxygen sensors, as they help control how rich/lean the engine runs. Might be worth getting these checked out at the mechanic, they can hook up the diagnostics and see if they are working as they should be.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Check the error code for yourself and find out what it is exactly (do a search on how to pull the error codes).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
a vacuum leak wil make the engine run rich, this is a common fault with the commies

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Agree with above... check the how to section of the forums. there is a detailed article describing how to read the fault codes yourself.

vacuum leak will display a "vacuum leak" error code, but "oxygen sensor rich" error could be faulty oxygen sensor (most likely if only one sensor reads rich - there are seperate codes for each sensor.) If you get both sensors reading rich, then they are probably right, which means you may have a leaking injector (depends if you got them tested or just cleaned... if tested OK then this is unlikely) or your fuel pressure is too high. If you are comfortable doing it yourself, check the fuel pressure and rev the car a bit to make sure it doesnt vary too much, and if it does, then your fuel pressure regulator is probably cactus.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Agree with above... check the how to section of the forums. there is a detailed article describing how to read the fault codes yourself.

vacuum leak will display a "vacuum leak" error code, but "oxygen sensor rich" error could be faulty oxygen sensor (most likely if only one sensor reads rich - there are seperate codes for each sensor.) If you get both sensors reading rich, then they are probably right, which means you may have a leaking injector (depends if you got them tested or just cleaned... if tested OK then this is unlikely) or your fuel pressure is too high. If you are comfortable doing it yourself, check the fuel pressure and rev the car a bit to make sure it doesnt vary too much, and if it does, then your fuel pressure regulator is probably cactus.

Hi All,

Error code 33. Map sensor. It may just be a vacuum leak near the sensor. I will have a look.

Cheers
Struggo

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All,

Error code 33. Map sensor. It may just be a vacuum leak near the sensor. I will have a look.

Cheers
Struggo

All fixed guys. :w00t:

You would not believe it. I followed the map sensor hose to the trottle body and found that the vacuum hose (I think) that is located on the fuel pressure regulator had come away from the trottle body itself.

Cheers
Struggo

Last edited: