Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 strange idle

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
Hi all, been a long time reader but this is my first post, have an issue with my VR V6 calais, when on idle it sometimes idles high, sometomes low, when i turn on the a/c the idle goes up to around 1800 rpm, when i take it out of gear (auto) instead of revs rising slightly, they drop! I have changed the IAC with little to no change. Also when i put it into reverse its fine, but when i put it in drive theres a slight delay, other than that it runs perfectly, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
as for the delay in changing to drive, check tranny fluid etc.

as for the idleing, not sure about the park etc, but I would expect it to go higher for aircon, as the engine has a bit more work to do.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The delay in selecting Drive is normal if it's no more than 2 seconds (it's mentioned in the owners manual). Idle speed should be the same with air on/off if the IAC is working. Re the idle - did you reset the ECU after IAC installation? - also check you do not have a vacuum leak...hose off or split maybe. And welcome to the forum.
Good Luck.

commomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
I think it could be an vacum leak. Sounds like a similar promblem that i had recently. Go over all of them, check for cracks, they get really hard from the heat. Mine was at the back of the engine bay, on the elbow for the throttle body

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
gday fellas yes i reset the ecu and did check for vacum leaks, looks to be ok, the trans takes probably between 2-3 seconds to select drive, although the fluid color looks a bit dodgey, kinda browny red, thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:

commomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
hey dude. i talked to a mate who is a auto trans builder and said that it is most likely your stall converter is crapin out, that if is the cars running fine. He suggested to save some coin for a new converter or a bit more for a rebuild. I have got a vr berlina that was rebuilt in 2002, with shift kit, stop valve for 1st to 2nd shift, 2200 stall strong sun gear and other some other stuff and it has done near 300,000km under boost since then and still shifts like a champion every time.

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI
although the fluid color looks a bit dodgey, kinda browny red, thanks for your help guys.[/QUOTE]

When the fluid is starting to get darker like black its time for a change.