Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 to V8 Conversion Help needed

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Hey guys, I've just started accumulating parts for my conversion, Im in NZ and emissions won't matter but anyway here I go. I have a 95 VR BT1 V6 commodore and also a VP 5lt V8 with computer, inlet and exhaust manifolds, loom, coils, starter, alt , auto box, Driveshaft, Engine crossmember and gearbox cross member, can anyone think of anything else i'm going to need.

I'm starting the conversion in a few weeks and want to get it all done in one weekend so i'm hoping i have all the bits to start the conversion without having to stop and look for more.

If anyone has undertaken this conversion before can you let me know if there are gonna be any hidden surprises i'll uncover after pulling the V6 out.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Trans and loom won't be any good to you.
Trans in VR is electronic, but the VP is hydraulic. locate a VR/VS V8 auto and engine loom. loom is different for hydraulic boxes.
I'd also recommend replacing the engine and trans mounts and making sure all bolt-ons like PS pump etc are in good cond before you potentially run into a problem

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
TheForgotten said:
Trans and loom won't be any good to you.
Trans in VR is electronic, but the VP is hydraulic. locate a VR/VS V8 auto and engine loom. loom is different for hydraulic boxes.
I'd also recommend replacing the engine and trans mounts and making sure all bolt-ons like PS pump etc are in good cond before you potentially run into a problem

What would be wrong with changing to hydraulic auto, as all the wiring is going to be changed anyhow.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
nothing wrong with it at all, but the wiring is different. for elec box the wiring is on the engine loom, but for hyd box there is a seperate loom for trans. not sure how you'd go about it, I was planning to convert my 6 to a hydraulic box, but once I found out about the loom I gave up that idea. could likely work well...
let me know how the wiring goes