Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v6 to v8 motor swap help!!!

hawkinsluke1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vr ss BT1
hey how are you all goin im new to this so be kind hahaha
heres the story ok so i bought a vr BT1 for $3000 witch had the 3.8l in it its a real nice car its the one in my dp anyway
i wanted to put the 5.0L injected motor the 304 as my mate got a whole vr ss in at work running he works at the wreckers it had a 161,000km
so i got the complete car for $1500 i took everything i need out for the converstion like the k frame,ecu,bcm,exhaust,radiator,computer,gear box,dash cluster,the engine loom,the whole body loom aswell just to be on the safe side how i did it unbolted the struts and k frame and what not and lifted the car up and wheeled the motor out i did the same to the v6 ok so now its all in the BT1 i was told i didnt need to change the loom that went thought the fire wall but i did anyways
just so it was all v8 ihave power my dash lights come up and everything but when i turn to start i get nothing like as if it was in gear (its auto by the way) so i changed the ignition barrel over as well still nothing i have power to starter motor fuse box to alternator even power to coil but it want start wont even crank pulled starter out check working line have fuel but it just wont crank over please help im getting very frustrated :ranting:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Have a look at your loom in your passengers footwell, about 20cm up the loom from the computer. Is there a spare connector there?

hawkinsluke1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey yea there is its like a clear colour its plugged in i think its the power to the computer but i have a few plugs left ova i can put pics up later to show whats plugged in and wats left ova?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Firstly. A bit of punctuation wouldnt hurt. I got breathless just reading your first post. Second. Did you swap out the bcm when you did the conversion? The black box up inder the cluster

hawkinsluke1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry mate i was just in a rush and like i said im new to this yes i did change the BCM i also changed the ABS computer the ECU computer
um yeah im lost lol

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you take the keyhead from the old car to the new car? if not try swapping the keyhead off of your original key for the one on the other cars key

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you have the neutral safety switch plugged in? The one that connects to the gear selector? And do you know if the SS was actually running before?

hawkinsluke1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
the switch is plugged in but i will double check that and yes the ss was running i drove the car home

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the metal ring wired up that sits around the barrel? And is the metal knob touching the metal ring?