Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v6 wont start then runs like crap

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
Hey I have a vr v6 it was fine. Then all of a sudden wouldent fire up. I finally got it going and it was running like **** down the road. The idle was all over the joint.
ive searched the forumsand cant find anything

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Had a issue like this ages ago and it was the plug/wiring to the IAC, gave the IAC plug a wiggle and it came good. Only error I got was TPS stuck, so pulled throttle body off cleaned the IAC replaced the TPS...also cleaned all the plugs on the end of the loom..was fine for a few mths then happened again, notice the loom retaining clips had broken away from the firewall so cable tied the loom up and its been fine ever since.....

A.C.COOKIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 93
I had a very similar problem and as Wozza said the IAC is the normal culprit here. Take the IAC out completely get a can of carby throttle body cleaner and blast the crap out of it fill it with grease and put it back in but if you are going to do this then you may aswell service the throttle body aswell. Just dont mess with the tps and try not to get the carby cleaner on it either (carby cleaner is not rubbers friend).
If you have alittle cash to spend may as well do the plugs aswell cant hurt check your leads to see if you have loose spark and check your airfilter too as this can cause problems if it hasnt been done in a long time and is generally overlooked aswell.
Good luck and let us know how you get along