Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Vr v8 5lt won't start weak spark

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Hi all I have a 95 vr v8 5lt was running fine took the engine out changed main and connecting rod bearings and no won't start I have replace brand new high torque low gear starter motor new ignition module new distributor me leads plugs ecu and chip and still won't start it fires as if its going to run but won't start timing is Excatly right compression is all there and also relplaced new injectors and still no luck oh and gone through all wiring have spoke to a few ppl and no one has a clue why it won't run any hints would be great spent so much money on all these parts and no luck

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Did you replace the coil?

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
I have on there the electronic coil I Tryed a second hand cylinder coil was off a working car and it still seemed weak it fired as if its about to start but just won't start I checked the coil with a multi meter both coils the primary was 1.3 on both and secondary on the electronic was 9.8 and the cylinder coil was 7.1 about 2 days ago it was a big blue spark so I re connected the leads and Tryed to start again did nothing reviews spark was weak again it's like a bit of blue on the electrode of the plug and the top pin of the plug the middle of the spark seems clear and its sparks all over the plug not in one spot hope this info helps

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you've done all those checks and replaced so many parts with new, have you thought that the problem might be fuel supply rather than electrical? How much fuel is in the tank? Have you checked to see that enough fuel is reaching the engine? The fuel pump could be shagged. Try giving the bottom of the tank a whack with a large flat board a couple of times. It's an old trick that can "kick" the pump into life. If it works though, it simply shows that the pump needs replacing.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Thanks for the reply it had new fuel pump aswell I checked the flow got heaps the injectors were a bit weird so I've replaced them I took the dizzy back out and there was a peice of wire in the Hall effect sensor replaced the dizzy gain and still only fires but don't run just cleaned the plugs to te computer and it completely stopped firing all Togethor I've spent so much money and time and getting no where any suggestions is a help as I'm at a loss I can't think of anything else

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Are you sure the dizzy is not 180 degrees out?

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Na dizzy is right but have two faults just come up one is the injectors are all pulsing at the same time where as I have been told they should be pulsing seperatly and the coil is after market electronic coil wich has apparently become faulty so going to replace these parts and find out why the injectors have started pulsing all at the same time hopefully it works

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the injectors will fire at the same time its normal.plugs at ecu wont effect spark should have spark even without ecu plugged in.are the fuel hoses round the right way in blank rail out regulator

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Ok I just changed chips and they did stay all pulsing so that info has helped the fuel lines I am unsure if they are the wrong war around but if I lift my injector rail fuel is spraying out does this mean there the right way or that could be a prob

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
A faulty Hall Effect Sensor can cause all of this. Car cranks but won't fire.
When you say it won't start but wants to run....what do you mean by this?

Does it crank and just won't fire....or does it seem to sort of fire then dies?

Btw you really should have started this thread in the VR/VS section. Some members might not check the general thread.