Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Vr v8 5lt won't start weak spark

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it fires but doesn't want to run, I'd put money on the timing being retarded. Spin the dizzy clockwise a bit and see what happens.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Thanks for replys sorry for not enough info the car fires it starts firing almost to start then dies and carrys on turning over for a bit then starts to fire again

I have since changed the map sensor vacuum hose changed the coolant temp switch and also changed the dizzy once again still getting no where same problem fires then dies I have moved dizzy whilst starting makes no difference just won't fire when I turn it to far

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Then it sounds like a fuel problem. Is there enough fuel in the tank? Is the pump fine? Is the fuel pressure regulator OK? Are the injectors OK? Is there pulse at each injector? Is the fuel pump relay good?

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Thanks for reply fuel pump is new got enough fuel the injectors hve been replaced but the regulator hasn't been changed at all yet fuel is pumping out injectors if I take te return line if the regulator it comes out but wether it's restricting or not I'm not sure ill give that a try and let you know how it goes

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Easy test for the regulator, clamp off the return and vacuum lines and see if it runs.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Oh I'll give that a try tommorow haven't Tryed that yet hoping it works just spent so much time and money and getting no where the engine was running before it was taken out and hasn't run since but all internals are exactly right but ill give that a try

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah make sure all your vac line are hooked up correctly and the O2 sensor is working. It can over fuel the car if eitheof those two are stuffed, and it will foul the plugs.

Happened to me not long ago.

Gregoryd28

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr 5lt
Oh that I haven't checked when the engine was removed it got damaged so I replaced it but the guy sold me a v6 one same 2 wire but wasn't long enough I cut and extended the wires would this have affected it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Only if have the wires around the wrong way,. But it won't cause your problem.