Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr V8 Commodore wont start

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
i have a holden commodore VR V8 Auto... it cranks but wont start i have replace the spark plugs, the leads, its got a whole new dizzy and is in line with no1 TDC, the ignigtion coil, the ignition module, new battery, new fuel injectors, and the fule tank has been emptyied and cleaned, new fuel andwont start, i had luck with puting fuel down the throttle body and it started up but only ran for 20 seconds and cut out, i then started it again but wouldnt start just kept turning, so i put some more fule down the throttle body and it started again but only ran for the same amount of time then cut out. so i left it for an hour then came back and it wouldnt start at all even with the fuel down it.. i have tryed giving the dizzy a bit of a twist but no good please help???

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to accessories? Are the spark plugs covered in petrol after you crank it for a while?

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
Distributor static timing needs to be 10 degrees BTDC with the PCM in diagnostic mode (pins five and six bridged). Also have you checked to see if any error codes have been set?
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307/
i havent checked error codes yet, im not to sure how, and i have set the dizzy where the othere one was. but there are two indicaters on the fly wheel.. one is an indented clear as day mark and one is a light scribe witch is in front of the largley indented mark i found the dizzy pointing at cylinder 1 on this lightly scribed mark

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to accessories? Are the spark plugs covered in petrol after you crank it for a while?
im pretty sure there is no petrol covering my spark plugs as i have pulled them out numerous amount of times whilst trying to get this bitch started and have never come accross that just black soot. and it dose prime

Devour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VR V8
i have had a suggestion from another source and they said it sounded to them like it had no ignition pulse. im not to sure how to tackle this problem.. i have though switched all the fuses around under the bonnet to see if there was a faulty fuse but no luck there either so i put them all back to there original places.. it was running but like a hairy dog..one by one i replaced all of what i have told you and no luck so far i have replaced the alternator as well witch a failed to mention,, but this was my first swap thinging i wasnt getting enough power and i would take it for a 10 minute drive and it would run fine for five minutes then it would just start putting and running rough like it was only firing 5 cylinders and lucky to make it home as it would struggle to hit 70 and then once home and i turn the key of and try and start it again it was as if i had a flat battery Hence why i changed the alternator

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the engine runs with Start Ya Bastard or petrol in the throttle then ignition pulse is fine, injector pulse on the other hand...

Have you also replaced the fuel filter? Blockage from that being clogged is also not unheard of and would fit into the no petrol on the plugs or injectors not delivering fuel.

Also worth asking, you didn't do anything to the car previous to this happening?

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you tried putting the plug against the engine block and test for spark? Also have you tested that every injector is getting 12v with ignition on using a test light, one wire be 12v. Maybe something is wrong in your new dizzy.