Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 EFI in Opel Monza

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Guy i brought a ring 62mm x 45mm x 10mm..........its to thick it shut be like 61,3/61,4mm thick the 45mm over the balancer is the correct size and the 10mm thickness dont really matter i mean if its 9-12mm it dont matter..

So i gues the ring shut have a inche size...but if i convert mm to inches by a online program it comes up with really weird numbers...and i am pretty sure that i cant order those rings,so is there anybody in Australia/New Zealand than can give me the correct size seal ring..

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Guy i brought a ring 62mm x 45mm x 10mm..........its to thick it shut be like 61,3/61,4mm thick the 45mm over the balancer is the correct size and the 10mm thickness dont really matter i mean if its 9-12mm it dont matter..

So i gues the ring shut have a inche size...but if i convert mm to inches by a online program it comes up with really weird numbers...and i am pretty sure that i cant order those rings,so is there anybody in Australia/New Zealand than can give me the correct size seal ring..

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Jip that the ring i need,and i would be very happy if i knew the size in inches.
So i can order on..

Love that Monza with that Commodore front on it...Everything from windscreen to grill is Aus Commodore,as the European cars had the suspension domes under a angle and the Aus version has the domes standig straight,I brought me a water holder like the VK-VL,s have,but it dint fit a Monza..
Nice conversion of that Monza.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Any updates?

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah there have been some updates:
My radiator........A stock Monza radiator is like 5-7cm smaller than a VR radiator and the climat here in NL doent get that hot as in Aus so i thought i bring my VR radiator to a radiator rebuild place and give a stock Monza radiator with the VR radiator and tell the blokes there:
This is a Holden radiator and here u have a Monza radiator,the hose connectors are on the opposide sides so here u have a example for size (the monza radiator) and here u have the Australian radiator..make me a Australian radiator with the size of the Monza,so i can drop it in 1:1....

After a week i got a call..ure radiator is done u can pick it up,i went to the shop and they gave me a nice shiney radiator with a thick high performance core..i was happy as a kid,then i wanted to drive away and i thought #### i still have the stock Monza radiator as example inside,so i went back inside and they gave me the the stock radiator back...once in the car i put the Monza radiator for the VR radiator with Monza sizes.....i saw those idiots did nothing than rebuild my own VR radiator with a Aus size core.....i got angry and told them this wasnt what i wanted...and they told me u gave us order to rebuild this..and not to make it smaller...i said....why on earth would i give a smaller radiator as example....after a while they said..u know we make a deal...u pay us just the cost of the cooling block and the labour hours are our lost....i payed 450$ for rebuilding a radiator witch wasnt leaking....with labour it would be over 600$...Now i have to change the shell a bit to get the VR radiator in...not much but i wanted to avoid that..

Next thing is headers..
As i am making everything in mirror vieuw i needed new headers cause the aus cast iron ones from a VR-VS are worthless...cant use them at all..so i cut the plate that bolts to the head off with a grinder and gave it to a company that does some laser/water/plasma whatever cutting of steel....they made me 2 plates of 8mm thick steel that bolt the head and match the exhaust ports and bolts 100%...
But i still need headers so i was looking and looking and saw that Ford 289/302 heads use headers looking like this:

SBF FORD SMALL BLOCK HUGGER HEADERS UNPAINTED | eBay

I asked around on a Ford forum last sunday and found out that the ports of a 289/302 head have exact 11cm diffence between them centre port to centre of the next port and Holden has 11,3cm ......So now i am trying to get those headers...I asked a usa car part shop nearby earlyer this evening if they have those headers in stock or if they import them what thery cost...If they dont answer soon i buy those in the states and import them.
I cut the plate off that bolts to he Ford head and weld the rest on my own made Holden plate and than i can make the exhasut as Holden did it only in mirror vieuw......

It all sounds very easy and simple...but its like everything u need to think off....

Wenn u do a conversion to a VB-VL of a 304 EFI,u click on google and there u have it..a example or shop that offers parts...but in my case....its me,who need to think ask around and and..

(and i havent done a #### the last couple of months to the conversion hehehhhe but now its winter and i have more time..so lets go on and bring the donk back to live)

By the way,but for this guy i really have respect,he does something new here...
U cant buy a manual for it or download it or buy parts parts from a shop....He is putting a BMW V8 engine in a old Opel (BMW/Audi/Mercedes V8 are cheaper here than LSx engines) and i think he will get it running,heheh maybe in the end that conversion is cheaper and easyer than my Holden conversion...hehehe but i will be the only on the main land of Europe that has a Holden 304.....I never saw one for sale in the main land (holland-germany-france-sweden-norway-finland-austria and the rest) i saw a few Holdens on ebay UK......
Opelforum • Toon onderwerp - van 24V naar 32V. Plug and play? NOW WAY!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I feel your grief on finding good help with mechanics and service people.
Good luck with it all and thanx for sharing, can't wait to see it finished.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Its not really all that hard and compliated the engine itself is made to fit in the bay easy,but its not like i google a bit and go to the wreckers and get what i need...
Its not like pick a VL intermediate shaft and a VN rack and pacemaker headers and VN tailshaft and and and...Its all custom made more or less.

But i keep working on it wenn i have time,and the mood to do something,and for now without correct headers i came to a point where i cant really go on..I hope to have the Ford 302 hugger headers that i need within now and 2 weeks,than i can make the exhaust en let a hydralic company make new powersteering lines that suit the Mercedes rack and the GM powersteering pump.

But i wonder where in Australia can u get gaskets that fit to the VN style heads to prevent the headers from leaking....I looked everywhere on ebay google and and and...and i cant find anything that i need..

Cheers Ben

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
email ACL, they make all sorts of gaskets.