Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 help

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Hi all
Looking at a 5.0 vr for sale..it may need an engine rebuild due to oil light keeps coming on..a mechanic has looked at this and thinks its time for a rebuild.How much roughly is a rebuild and what would the car be worth (roughly) bearing this in mind?..Apart from this the car isnt too bad.It is also an ex police car..Does this make it worth more or less?..Also what does BT1 mean?
Sorry for all the questions!!
Any help/advice would be welcome
Thanks

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Hi all
Looking at a 5.0 vr for sale..it may need an engine rebuild due to oil light keeps coming on..a mechanic has looked at this and thinks its time for a rebuild.How much roughly is a rebuild and what would the car be worth (roughly) bearing this in mind?..Apart from this the car isnt too bad.It is also an ex police car..Does this make it worth more or less?..Also what does BT1 mean?
Sorry for all the questions!!
Any help/advice would be welcome
Thanks

BT1 is just a reference for Police-Pack Commodores...

why a rebuild because of an oil light? was there any trouble shooting involved or just "nah, she's a gonner, i can rebuild it for $$$" ?????

could just be oil pump, or pick up, or filter, or pressure sensor... or just disgustingly old oil...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As a first step suggest that you:
1. Drain the old oil.
2. Fill up with some cheapo stuff and an engine cleaner. Don't drive the car with this oil in it.
3. Idle for 30 mins. Increase the revs to 2000 for 30 secs every five minutes.
4. Drain the oil. Change the oil filter. Fill up with a good oil such as Castrol Edge Sport 20W50.
5. See if this has solved your problem.
6. If not, you can look into the oil pressure sensor, oil pump or pickup as mentioned by Coast_Calais.

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
If oil pump has failed, and engine has been run with no oil pressure, chances are the engine does need a rebuild, and bottom end bearings need to be replaced at the bare minimum. I wouldn`t be runing it with no pressure, it should be shut down straight away, and investigated as to why there is no oil pressure.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If an oil pressure light comes on with a aussie 5ltr I'm surprised its even still going. Those things usually go off once a rod has hit the ground...

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Light came on my mates vr ss a few months ago, oil pump sh!t itself, reckons he pulled over straight away and turned engine off, and he needed bottom end rebuild.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
They will light up at idle with thin oil.

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Holden Commodore Acclaim.
The previous owner of my vr v8 when he got it rebuilt over 3 years ago, he got the top and bottom end rebuilt and it cost him just under $7k. He did put a cam in though.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Cause its a flogged out BT1 its worth less than a normal VR imo. But given their age now, it dosnt mean much anymore. Prob worth around scrap price if the motors no good. Basically your giving them money then your gonna have to spend a few $K to get it rebuilt. A rebuild no matter how small will be worth more then a running/working VR. Basically you will spend double what the car is worth getting a rebuild.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Has anybody put an oil pressure gague on it? ie oil pressure test.