Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 just up and died. BCM fault?

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Hi folks.
Remote door locking didn't open the car the other morning so manually unlocked it. Key in ignition DOES disable immobiliser but nothing else happens, no dash lights at all, no turning over, nothing. The remote had been working excellently right up to the day before.
Does this sound like I just need a new battery in the remote (which, looking around the forum, doesn't look like a barrel of laughs) or is it likely I need to repalce the BCM?

Any tips appreciated.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
sounds like a flat main battery ...any lights at all working ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As above, sounds like the cars battery is flat. Even if the battery in the key was flat, the dash warning lights etc would still light up when the key is turned to the on position etc, and the car should still start, as the immobiliser circuit in the keyfob doesnt use the key battery, its powered straight from the key reader. The remotes, lock/unlcock/boot are the only things that use the battery in the keyfob. Turn the headlights on and to high beam, and see if they shine nice and bright, and then try the starter and see if they dim slightly or go off completely, if they are dim heaps or go off, the battery is stuffed..

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
*sigh* now I feel like a moron :-( Since the battery is no more than two months old and good quality and very good rating and, since nothing was left on like lights, (and since there was not even a small tick from the starter and notthing on the dash lit up at all) I assumed that it couldn't be the battery. At home for lunch I threw the multi-meter on and, yep, battery down to 2 volts. Sorry for wasting your time guys. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be breaking out the jumper cables tonight :)