Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 Rear Main

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
So my VR has a small leak from the rear main!!! I will be pulling the gearbox out (conversion) and I will have the exhaust off so I thought I would look at doing the rear main at the same time..

So my question: How hard is it to change it with the engine in the car? I do have a hoist!!

I will also be trying a two piece seal so could be doing the job twice.. lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the leak is not bad don't touch it. It could end up leaking worse. Replace it if and when you do a rebuild.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
If the leak is not bad don't touch it. It could end up leaking worse. Just replace it if you do a rebuild.

Will be doing a rebuild to a 355 in the next 12 months but it does need to go over the pits as it hasn't been licensed for 10 years.. should be able to clean it off enough to get it over??

Would hate to put it all back together and have the leak get worse!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Carry a can of brake cleaner, clean it really well at home and give it a squirt just before you get to his garage.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Carry a can of brake cleaner, clean it really well at home and give it a squirt just before you get to his garage.

Yeah was planning on putting on a hoist at a mates workshop if I didn't fix it first as it's about 500m from the inspection place.. or put it on a trailer and pull up at the front.. Its a bugger as everything else is perfect and without that leak it would go over easy as!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Crank out for rear main seal to be done properly.Sneaky Pete trick seems like bs!!!

If it's very minor rig up a catchcan & try some wynns stop leak or whatever it is...did that on an engine with decent blowby & leaking seal that dripped onto exhaust.Drip was minor issue after that lasted long enough for new motor to get built.

Give it all a good clean..fingers crossed something simple like sump or manifold gasket,rocker etc

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Your rebuilding motor before you put over pits for rego?

If so, replace main seal.

No was going to get it licensed first and build the engine in a year or so.. want to get her on the road to enjoy and have a few things done before the engine.. so much easier moving it around licensed and not having to have the hassle of permits or trailers.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Crank out for rear main seal to be done properly.Sneaky Pete trick seems like bs!!!

If it's very minor rig up a catchcan & try some wynns stop leak or whatever it is...did that on an engine with decent blowby & leaking seal that dripped onto exhaust.Drip was minor issue after that lasted long enough for new motor to get built.

Give it all a good clean..fingers crossed something simple like sump or manifold gasket,rocker etc

its a minor leak with only a little drip overnight but I hate oil leaks..lol.. have replaced the rocker cover gaskets but will have a really good look at the rest when the gearbox is out.. doesn't look like it's coming from the top area of the engine.

If I could have changed it with the engine in I would but want to avoid pulling the engine out to fix the leak only to pull it out again for the rebuild..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's a common spot to leak. Like i said clean it well hit brake cleaner and rags. 500m up the road it shouldn't drip enough to be a problem. What might be an idea if it can be done (V6 it can), is drop that dished panel that goes behind the engine and in front of the trans, assuming its an auto and wash it out. If yours is like mine, the oil pools in them a bit.