Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 Stato Stalling

VR Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
HR Holden
Hi Guys, You have all probably seen this before but......My 5.0 keeps stalling but starts a few minutes later, and is progressively getting worse. I have replaced the Ignition Module, and still no luck. It spits code 12 at me, I have spark when it stalls and cranks over without starting and still has spark, The fuel pump is new and I can hear it working when turning ignition on.

Any Ideas??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be checking the hall effect sensor in the distributor,it can cause problems like your having,and sometimes it wont even log an error code to notify you that its got a problem ....

VR Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
HR Holden
Would the hall effect sensor throw code 46 if it was cactus?? as Im still getting spark

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I havent got a list of the V8 error codes handy to look at, so Im not sure exactly what the error code 46 is on the V8's.But if error code 46 is something to do with the ignition system or ECU ,then yes,Id say it could cause that error code to set.The ECU might also use the pulse generated by the hall effect sensor to fire the injectors, so maybe thats why you still have spark but no go.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
How good is the spark, weak spark will fire but not enough to run.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You need to see if you have fuel pressure then. The pump might be shagged. Put a gauge on it and see. To me it sounds like your coil is shagged though. If you replace it, move it to a more convenient position.

VR Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
HR Holden
Ok, Coil replaced, enough spark to start a bush fire, sprayed some aerostart in when it trys to stall and revs pick up, so will have a look at fuel pump tomorrow, Although its is only 3 months old.

replaced do far:
Ignition unit
Coil
Fuel pump
New injectors
Distributer cap
Plugs
Leads

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Try testing the fuel pressure, both running and static, do you have a gauge to test the fuel pressure?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
check your battery leads/connections, specifically the earth.. my 5L vs did this a while ago. had spark, fuel pressure, no codes.

wouldnt fire, then fired up but missed big time when it warmed up.. turned out to be a loose earth lead on the motor