Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR vacuum hose loose/vacuum canister missing?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I have a vacuum hose loose, the one that runs from behind the throttle body to the supposed charcoal vacuum canister that's meant to be behind the front bumper on the passenger side? I've looked everywhere and I do not have one.

The initial problem was that when I changed the vent controls to face it would stay on feet, realizing that when I put my thumb over this loose hose it works and comes out of the face vents, where does this loose hose connect to and do VRs have these charcoal canisters?

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I don't think it's the charcoal canister (which is for absorbing petrol fumes) - it's the vacuum reservoir ball and it's normally in the position you mention. Possibly the ball has been ripped off or somehow removed. Mine was held on with cable ties. I'm pretty sure the VR is the same as the VS in this regard.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
VN-VS all have the vacuum reserve bottle(the black plastic ball looking thing under left front guard) in the same place.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Yeah that's what I meant hako, what purpose does the vacuum reserve bottle have?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It stores vacuum so your vacuum operated controls will function and stay in the required position when manifold vacuum drops for example during hard acceleration by acting as a resevoir. Some old cars like FJ's had vacuum operated wipers which used to almost stop when the manifold vacuum dropped off.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can always plug the end of the vacuum hose as a temporary measure till you get a proper reservoir - wreckers have them for about $20.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
That's what I've done hako, just put a screw in the end and taped it up until I can get another canister, I'm assuming the car has had a minor hit in the side as the guard has been changed, I'm guessing the canister was damaged or taken off in the process.

rubaduckee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
If that hose is unplugged does that vacuum leak effect the engine? Or just the air con?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It would make a minor difference to the engine.