Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR verse VS

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
yes n the fact that a vr has a buick engine ( more torquey) and an ecotec has a slower engine reaction time ( anti-thrash installment) but has alot more potential once modified.

The torque map was reduced for the VR from the VN and VP. From factory the VN S1 was the torquiest but ran out of puff at 4000rpm, where as the VP engine still had alot of torque down low but stretched further in the rev range.

VR didn't have the same get up and go off the line as the two previous models and was one of the slower Commodores (post VL) made in auto form due to a.) The extra weight over the VN and VP commodore and b.) The electronic auto which is actually the cause of a slower reaction time compared to the older VN/VP 4L60 box (TH700R4). VT were the other slow commodore made post VL, mostly due to being barges :p VX and VY were closer to VS performance and VZ/VE brang it back to the VP times back when they came out the showroom.

If you check acceleration times from Wheels and Motor etc. back in the day you'll find VR's were over a second off the VP pace, and about half a second off the VS pace to 100km/h on average.

At this age it does depend on the particular car though and how its been treated over time. A foam tune will also make a big difference particularly to the VR which got a much more subtle tune than the VN/VP.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
so when is this race?

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
yeah the foam tune does stick a fire cracker up the ass of a stock VR buick. Makes scence that the tune killed the VR. Kind of like the Gen3/4 tunes

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
never now
haha
nah we aint too sure
gunna try and find a drag day some time and do it
so its legal and all

i'm sure what you mean is your just havin trouble finding a nearby dragway and that you's where always going to do it legally :yeah:

Stevevr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Hi guys my son has a vs series 2 97 I have a VR s pack 94 he has only got a high flow cat converter and lukey exhuast mines pretty much as it came out I took he's for a spin to see the difference I've got no dout the vs would blow mine away its a big difference 150 km at 2 and half reves and I thought mine went well vs just hammers and sounds great goes throuh the gears a lot smother I won't one now I've got a high flow cat on the VR going to get lukey exhuast just to see if makes a difference anyone got anything that else I should convert to the VR s pack