Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR-VS 4.2 Stroker, worth it??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
kritical said:
id get her rebuilt on dat many k's 1st

stroking involves a rebuild...no two ways about it, you need to rip the engine apart to fit the neccessary components.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
kritical said:
id get her rebuilt on dat many k's 1st

211,000k's and still running strong, not losing oil, havent got power loss and using the same amount of fuel (450k's per tank) as I got in 1998. Once it hits about the 350,000k's mark, thats the time to change.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
sircruisealotVS said:
thats all well and good, but your comparing the cost of a brand new engine, built with stronger performance internals...designed to handle alot of power, and a good platform for further moddification....against something that is bolted onto an old engine (lets face it most vr-vs's are goin to have a fair few k's on them) still utilizing stock internals and running a significant risk (at 11psi) of blowing an engine.

The stage 2 raptor kit on 11psi is ok on stock internals, but you need a shift kit if its an auto.

Theres still a grand left over if you go the S/C and you're up over 60rwkw... which will cost a fair bit to gain anyway... So you have the money to spend on a strong rebuild anyway.

Im not bagging strokers man, its great that you did something different. Each to their own. But for most people, supercharging is the better value for money option for what they are after.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Frandy said:
Hey guys :dance:
Mum agreed to go halfs with me in the sale of a VS Commie V6 5-speed next year....I would love a V8 but one of the catches was that i had to pay all petrol and tyres and rego and everything, so i dont think a V8 will go down too well in the Wallet :bang: So i was thinking of buyin a real run down VS v6, then rippin the engine out and buying a C.O.M.E. Racing 4.2 Stroker Ecotec, the blower/turbo version, cause i will be keeping this car for a long time and a blower is possible for the future :thumbsup: :yeah: So does anyone has a Ecotec Stroker in ther VR-VS?? Are they worth it???

Cheers
Francis ;)

I think a standard v6 would have enough balls to get a learner driver into enough trouble... those motors are pumping out more horses than the old carby v8 5L !!!

You need to get yourself some years of driving experience before making yourself a potent street machine... Most learner testerone pumped drivers inevitablily stack their first car... It would be a shame to spend all your money on a new engine and then write the car off a week later.... Just my 2c worth ;)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
vn2nv maybe i should have said my piece differently....
what im saying is: stroker kit $2.5k....raptor kit $5.5k (prices rounded off).
the 6.5k you quoted is for a complete built engine.
ive got no probs with s/c and i know you werent baggin out strokers, i was just saying that you were "comparing apples to oranges".

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Well say i kept it till im on my P's, would it be OK to spend the $2.5k on gettin the engine stroked, or is it better to just leave it, then spend my money on other things lyk interior and exterior??

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
sixshooter said:
I think a standard v6 would have enough balls to get a learner driver into enough trouble... those motors are pumping out more horses than the old carby v8 5L !!!

You need to get yourself some years of driving experience before making yourself a potent street machine... Most learner testerone pumped drivers inevitablily stack their first car... It would be a shame to spend all your money on a new engine and then write the car off a week later.... Just my 2c worth ;)

$2.5k on gettin the engine stroked, or is it better to just leave it, then spend my money on other things lyk interior and exterior??[/QUOTE]

you can never convince a learner driver of that. if they want power nothing can convince them otherwise. time to stop trying to convince them and just let them crash

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
Frandy said:
Well say i kept it till im on my P's, would it be OK to spend the $2.5k on gettin the engine stroked, or is it better to just leave it, then spend my money on other things lyk interior and exterior??

if ur only gunna keep it till ur on ur P's then whats the point of modifying it at all?

just save the money and add it to the car you will buy when u get rid of this one. The only reason you would want to stroke it is if u wanna keep the car as a full project really