Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR-VS 4.2 Stroker, worth it??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Frandy said:
Well say i kept it till im on my P's, would it be OK to spend the $2.5k on gettin the engine stroked, or is it better to just leave it, then spend my money on other things lyk interior and exterior??

wo wo wo, dont misread what i was saying...it does not cost $2.5k to stroke the engine. what i was talking about was just for the kit, parts only. i dont want to give anyone the wrong idea, there are other things that need to be done and labour to account for...just like with the s/c kit.
i was only comparing the cost for the kits alone.

A

AdamIan69

Question? i have all my head work done already, so technically speaking all i would have to do, to put a 4.2ltr stroker in my car is buy the kit, get the gaskets and bolt the heads, manifolds and accesories up right??? me being a mechanic i recon it wouldnt cost anything over $3000. if i were to do the work myself. or is there somthing i am missing???????? i am assuming the kit comes assembled in the block.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
not quite, the kit if just parts, thats it...the stroker crank, rods and bearings along with hyperuetectic pistons (this is the n/a kit im talking about).
the short motor ($4.5k) comes completely assembled (read c.o.m.e. website for more info on how the engine is built and whats included).
if you were to do the job yourself you would need a couple of things, a cam, timing gear, valve springs, chip and also machining of the block (small clearancing notches need to be grinded from the block for the rods to get the extra leverage).

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
sixshooter said:
I think a standard v6 would have enough balls to get a learner driver into enough trouble... those motors are pumping out more horses than the old carby v8 5L !!!

You need to get yourself some years of driving experience before making yourself a potent street machine... Most learner testerone pumped drivers inevitablily stack their first car... It would be a shame to spend all your money on a new engine and then write the car off a week later.... Just my 2c worth ;)

Totally agree...my old VK 5lt (bless her soul) only had around 130kw standard (from memory the VL 6 had the same and the VS 6 was around 155 - correct me if I'm wrong).

How mich grunt does a p-plater really need ?

I am reminded of an 18 yo guy who had a VT S1 SS until only a week or so ago until he wrapped it around a tree, never saw the light of day again, took his best mate with him and put 3 other mates in hospital here in Perth.