Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR-VS 4.2 Stroker, worth it??

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Hey guys :dance:
Mum agreed to go halfs with me in the sale of a VS Commie V6 5-speed next year....I would love a V8 but one of the catches was that i had to pay all petrol and tyres and rego and everything, so i dont think a V8 will go down too well in the Wallet :bang: So i was thinking of buyin a real run down VS v6, then rippin the engine out and buying a C.O.M.E. Racing 4.2 Stroker Ecotec, the blower/turbo version, cause i will be keeping this car for a long time and a blower is possible for the future :thumbsup: :yeah: So does anyone has a Ecotec Stroker in ther VR-VS?? Are they worth it???

Cheers
Francis ;)

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
I guess it all depends on the size of your wallet. Something like that is going to cost big $$$. You might even find that the insurance and petrol with a stroked and blown V6 will be the equivilent of a V8. My 2c.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i am completely biased, but i think it is worth it. the ecotec stroker from C.O.M.E. is one mean engine and reasonably priced for what you get.
as for using much more fuel...they dont.

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
its something i wanna do one day... need money first tho

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well you can get 210kw at the flywheel with their kit for like $6.5g

Or you can get a Raptor S/C and have 220kw at the wheels on 11psi for $5.4g

Thats on the VR buick engine btw... VS 4.2 Stroker is 220kw at the fly and same price but not sure on the s/c power for the Ecotec...

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
**** stroker go v8. it sounds better, goes better (with a bito $$$), sounds cooler to say u gota V8:) and price wise itd probs end up roudn the same.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
Well you can get 210kw at the flywheel with their kit for like $6.5g

Or you can get a Raptor S/C and have 220kw at the wheels on 11psi for $5.4g

Thats on the VR buick engine btw... VS 4.2 Stroker is 220kw at the fly and same price but not sure on the s/c power for the Ecotec...

thats all well and good, but your comparing the cost of a brand new engine, built with stronger performance internals...designed to handle alot of power, and a good platform for further moddification....against something that is bolted onto an old engine (lets face it most vr-vs's are goin to have a fair few k's on them) still utilizing stock internals and running a significant risk (at 11psi) of blowing an engine.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
96vscommodore said:
**** stroker go v8. it sounds better, goes better (with a bito $$$), sounds cooler to say u gota V8:) and price wise itd probs end up roudn the same.

i dont think i could agree with any of those points.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I will be getting that 4.2ltr Stroker with turbo, not soon but in the coming years. I just want to use my current engine (on 211,000k's) as long as I can then she's finished, the stroker is coming.