Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr vs 6cyl shared running gear

Tassiescott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hi guys, just about to wreck my vr v6 i have had for over 12 years. Been a loyal friend, used for dog beach runs and transporting the kayaks. Got badly sideswiped when parked by the side of the road and is due for rego. Found a vs v6 ute with a good body. My vr has really goog running gear including new radiator 10k ago, new alternator 1k ago, new water pump ect. Discovered in my ignornace that the vs runs the ecotec motor not the same v6 as the vr. Before i wreck the vr are any of the bolt on running gear parts that will fit the vs? Or any else i should strip off it that is compatible with the vs? It is a sad day, hard not to get emotional like when my beloved vn wagon got t boned and the vr sedan came along. Hard not to get loyal to these long lasting, trouble free aussie legends.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Trans is different,diff will be the same if both are live axle. Tailshaft is shorter in the sedan. Unfortunately there is not a lot that will swap over. Lots of people including some wrecker staff seem to think only difference is the engine but that's far from the truth.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rad should fit, alt is different. A lot of the interior will be close to the same. There are interior parts that will be salvaging from the VR. Good interior parts are becoming rare on VR & VS.

Tassiescott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Thanks mate, unfortunately the interior is pretty rooted having had 2 big dogs in it doing beach runs each weekend for many years. I might chuck 6 months rego on it and drive it with the pushed in quarter panel until something goes on it and it is easier to let it go. The vs ute will get pit passed **** easy so i might take it off the road until i really need it. Dont really want to get stuff all for a mechanically sound sedan because the body now looks ****. I would assume the fuel pump is the same as that is new also. I guess if i can save the radiator and maybe fuel pump all is not lost, it just sucks getting nothing for good running gear because i don't have the space to strip it and sell it bit by bit, only as a whole car suitable for wrecking.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks mate, unfortunately the interior is pretty rooted having had 2 big dogs in it doing beach runs each weekend for many years. I might chuck 6 months rego on it and drive it with the pushed in quarter panel until something goes on it and it is easier to let it go. The vs ute will get pit passed **** easy so i might take it off the road until i really need it. Dont really want to get stuff all for a mechanically sound sedan because the body now looks ****. I would assume the fuel pump is the same as that is new also. I guess if i can save the radiator and maybe fuel pump all is not lost, it just sucks getting nothing for good running gear because i don't have the space to strip it and sell it bit by bit, only as a whole car suitable for wrecking.
Fuel pump should be ok, sender unit will likely be different, at least it is on a ute from VR - VS. Keep the pump in a jar of petrol I don't think they like to dry out once they have being used. TBH though, the parts you want to keep are fairly cheap to replace might be better to leave them on the car, at least you can sell a running vehicle stripping off $140 worth of parts to render the car undriveable is probably not good economics.

How much you asking for it as is and still driveable?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
i don't have the space to strip it and sell it bit by bit
Wrecking cars drives a bloke mad you'll be out working on a real job then someone will ring up and want to come buy something, you pack up early go home they don't show up, you end up with rubbish everywhere that you have to get rid of money only trickles in when you work out how many hours you've put into wrecking at home you end up working for $3 an hour don't do it to yourself. I have a friend that probably makes $2 an hour he's sitting on a $20k clean up bill if he ever wants to sell his property.
Then half the old parts I've kept for years didn't last 6 months when I put them back on something else.

Tassiescott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Fuel pump should be ok, sender unit will likely be different, at least it is on a ute from VR - VS. Keep the pump in a jar of petrol I don't think they like to dry out once they have being used. TBH though, the parts you want to keep are fairly cheap to replace might be better to leave them on the car, at least you can sell a running vehicle stripping off $140 worth of parts to render the car undriveable is probably not good economics.

How much you asking for it as is and still driveable?

Thinking i might let the vs ute run out of rego and chuck another 6 months on the vr sedan. It runs perfectly, just has a big dent in the rear quarter and **** interior from two big dogs going to the beach in it every weekend. I have owned this sedan for the last 12 years, oil and filters changed every 5k, gearbox serviced every 15K and fresh diff oil every 15k.

Need the roof racks for my kayaks ect, can't find a canopy for the vs ute. The ute doesnt have a dent on it and good paint and interior so need to work out roof racking system before getting rid of the sedan. Will know onTuesday, taking ute to see what it will need for roadworthiness inspection if i let rego expire. Sedan rego runs out Wednesday.

If i was to sell the sedan, wouldnt want much for it, would want it to go to someone who will use the parts. Will be a day soon the parts dry up, too valuable to end up a scrap metal.