Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr vs auto

gcas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sII utility
the auto in my vs sII ute has finally given up the ghost. it slips very badly and won't change up gears at all. after removing the auto i found it is vr transmission (4HDD). does anyone know if this is common? i have found a good cheap 2nd hand vs auto and was wondering if they are compatible?

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
welcome to the forum mate

if you've found a VS auto you should be right replacing it. what year was your ute made?

i'd be using the VS auto over the VR one. i would get the new one checked out prior to installing it just to make sure

gcas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sII utility
mine is a 1996 model vs sII with V6 ecotec engine. from what ive heard it should be either a 6HDD or a 7HDD. its got me stumped why its a 4HDD. ive heard the 4 denotes the year of build? i have been told by a wrecker that the computer may be different but have also been told by a holden mechanic that as long as the electrical plugs are the same it should be fine.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeap first number denotes the year it was made and ur right, urs should be 6hdd or 7hdd. i would try keep it round the same year personnally but yes as long as the plugs are the same it should be fine. like most things, going up in years is better than going backward. ie. drop in a 7hdd rather than a 5hdd

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The car probably has had a second hand or exchange reco box fitted in it's past life. As long as it's between 4HDD and 7HDD they all have identical innards. Like ephect says, newer will be better although a 7HDD is now 12 years old.