Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr/vs comparison

Randy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Hi guys, im looking to buy a VR/VS commodore soon and im wondering how they compare against one another.

Orignally i was just going to get a VR but the VS's ECOTECH engine has caused me to rethink.

How do they perform against one another? Ive read that despite the VS more powerful engine the performance difference is neligble?
The VS has better fuel consupmtion too, is there a noticible difference?

I guess what im asking is it worth paying extra and getting a VS? Keep in mind im a student and dont have a whole lot of $$ to throw around.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
vr is pretty much the same as the motor you already have except a computerized gearbox, id go the vs, new motor and its also computerized gearbox

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
vs motor is quieter, responds better to breathing mods due to matched ports(eg putting full exhaust on vs will be more benefitial than putting same on vr,doing the exhaust on mine made big difference to me from 2500rpm+), smoother, more fuel efficient. The reason why there not much performance difference between the 2, is the vr having the buick motor has better power down low in rev range than vs , but vs has better power in the mid-high rev range.

Randy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Ok sounds like VS is the way to go.
What do ya's reckon would be a fair price for a standard registered VS in decent condition with around 200ks?

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
depends where your from, im in sydney and bought my VS calais for $5400 with 200 on the clock in immac cond, vs exec here go for around 3500-4500, berlina around 5k and calais around 6-7k

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Part Throttle Response, not Torque!

vs motor is quieter, responds better to breathing mods due to matched ports(eg putting full exhaust on vs will be more benefitial than putting same on vr,doing the exhaust on mine made big difference to me from 2500rpm+), smoother, more fuel efficient. The reason why there not much performance difference between the 2, is the vr having the buick motor has better power down low in rev range than vs , but vs has better power in the mid-high rev range.

Having seen the torque graph comparison between the Buick and Ecotech V6's, the Ecotech has more torque all through the rev range.

However, there is no doubt that VN/VP/VR had more part throttle response than the VS at lower RPM. This was the cause of easy wheel spinning. The torque delivery was amended in the Ecotech to provide a more linear torque response againt throttle apllication. Thus, at part throttle the VR does seem more responsive, but at WOT the VS generally has the edge.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I am really tiring of the VR vs VS. We do it so often its not even funny. The best advice is always the same. Find a car in good mechanical condition. Dont worry about VR/VS, they are so similar, comparasions are a waste of time. Only a fool would skip a great car because its ONLY a VR, and go for some run down VS, because its a VS, and you will spend all your time mucking around with it. Fuel consumption is the same for both, so dont even consider that. If thats all your after, get a 4 cylinder.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, you got told.
i notice randy18 that you have your ride as a vp exec, well there's not a hell of a lot of difference mechanically between the vp and vr besides the 'box.
so what im saying is gettin a vr wont be all that different to what you've got now. if you were after something new and different the vs has more to offer.