Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr/vs Dash And Instruments In A Vn

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i know a lot of this is covered in other post's but this kinda combines it all.

what i have is a commodore vn s

i have a lv2 instrument cluster.

what i want to do and to get some idea of it being possible or not before i go buying parts is....

can i place a VR/VS dash in my car like someon else already asked but at the same time swapping my instruments for the matching VR/VS lv3 instruments and have my wipes/lights/ ect all hooked upto the new VR/VS switches without getting my electrics modded too much? and would the digital stuff (in fact everything) on the VR/VS LV3 instruments work once hooked up seeing as though my car only has a LV2 instrument cluster? i expect if extra wires need to be connected that they will be under the dash somewhere already just not connected as i have a bunch of wires that sit right under my dash/steering wheel that just sit there not connected to anything.

anyway any ideas of this working or not would be great. i want to have the vr/vs dash as it look a lot better but with all the wipte/light ect switches working as they should without too much trouble and a LV3 insterument cluster with everything working on it without getting a whole lot of new wiring or such.

cheers. and justcommodores rulez.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It could be done mate but it come down to your skills or how deep your pockets are!! Basically the wiring looms wont match up, so you would have to splice the VR/VS loom into your current one.
Cheers

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thanx

thanx mate. well skills,time and patience is no problem. money is ok for getting the dash and the instruments. if its a case of splicing the wires into mine then thats a simple if i can get my hands on a wiring chart/digram/colors. just not sure if the LV3 instruments with the digital stuff would ALL work put into mine and connected to my current wiring as i currently have a LV2 instrument cluster. or if i would need to have extra wiring put in.

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
Good to see we think alike.. Ive have also been thinking about fitting a VR/VS dash into my VN.. Ergh i hate that VN Dash/Instruments. and after a few :drink: 's i realised it was time for a change and that it could be possible..

I just have to consider the time it will take to rip the old dash out and fit the new one & ALSO i cant figure out how to get it out of the damn car! ive re-trimmed the interior and found it difficult to get the dash out for a new coat of paint. (ended up covering everything in newspaper and spraying the bugger while it was still in there)

So let us know how you go, im interested to hear more.
MSN: [email protected]

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
In short it is possible but you need to splice in about 12 wires into your existing loom for an additional connector (called no4 connector),run another wire across the dash to pick up a output from your ecm connector and change the position of a few lugs in your original instrument connectors.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
I have done this a few times now. The last time I did it, I thought about using the BCM and loom as the splicing shits ya. Then getting the wipers to work right also shits ya, that using the BCM from the donor car would be easier (maybe).

It may have other headaches with it using the BCM, but its worth a try as the PRO & CONS might actually make it easier then splicing into different places.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
StealthX said:
I just have to consider the time it will take to rip the old dash out and fit the new one & ALSO i cant figure out how to get it out of the damn car! ive re-trimmed the interior and found it difficult to get the dash out for a new coat of paint. (ended up covering everything in newspaper and spraying the bugger while it was still in there)
Take the vents off, undo the exposed nut/bolts. The same goes for the plastic near the windscreen. The VN may have 3 bolts along the front of yours or one, I have heard of people having just one there, but yeah undo your bolt along there. The fuse area has to be undone and the centre console area. If you removed your seats first, you should be able to walk the dash str8 out of the car.

The donor car is the same but it hasnt the attachment points in the same spot that the vents on the VN cover up. The donor cars are near in the same spot apart from that one little attachment point difference.

If you have the patience I would also use the wiring loom, or atleast its plug setup in the conversion. The VR and ups looms, break apart at the dash, unlike my vn's whos looms are all one and you have to first cut the cable ties holding the loom to the dash, before you can fully remove it, where as with a VR + it has 2 plugs down on the right hand side, that allows you to remove the dash with out having to cut the ties on the back holding the loom to the dash.

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Work = Cost = Good Looken

Sounds like alot of work, but the only thing that i dont like about my car is how the dash sticks out like a saw thumb, how much do you reckon this sort of thing would cost?...