Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS - Dash/Instrument Cluster Removal & Replacement

NKX

Reaction score
I was asked to put this in the how-to section by some poeple on the site... apparently its useful. You can see the post from which it originated at:

Post #40029.

Here are the instructions; These can be used to help you:

a) not break the plastic when removing the dash,
b) replace the instrument cluster with an after market one, or
c) replace/check for blown globes in the instrument cluster.

dashbits.jpg
  1. Remove screws Orange 1 & Orange 2; these two screws are visable at the top of the instrument panel before removing anything. Dropping the steering wheel to its lowest position before starting helps.

2. At this point you can remove the headligh selector if you wish, or else start removing the tabs holding the dash insert in. These are numbered Red 1 through Red 5. I personally like to remove the headlight/illumination switch and use that short side to start pulling the dash insert out.

NOTE: It has been mentioned that some people with ABS equipped cars, or those intending to leave the dash out for some time, have had issues with warning codes and flat batteries. If you think this will affect you - please disconnect the battery before getting started here.

3. Using a flat-head screwdriver insert it to where the Red X numbers are and lift gently. The tabs should just pop out. I may have missed a tab location on the far right side near the headlight selector - I can't remember... see if it gives.

4. After getting the insert loose, disconnect the Hazard light / Air Con / Demister plugs from the rear of the insert (and the headlight selector too if you haven't already done this). I find it useful to label everything here as I go - so grab a marker pen if you too intend to do this.

5. Remove the now visable Orange 3 and Orange 4 screws. At this point the whole dash insert will just pull out. As you can see from the photo it is held in and made working by the Orange, Blue, Orange multi-pin connecters.
All Done for the first part. You can now reverse the process after you have done what is needed and/or when your interior looks as cool as mine:

dashafter.jpg

_The+Car+%2820%29.JPG

Hope you all find this useful.... more howtos on the way - as I have pretty much removed every bit of my car at some point or another lately.

Last edited:

baggins404

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim SII
Do the small cloth trim inserts in a VS just pop out, want to recloth them, thanks for any help

itsimm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Equipe V6
Thanks for the article. All the info was spot on. Love the diagram. It's made life a lot easier for me. So much for the Gregory's car manual which proved to be total crap!
Thanks again!:)

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
perfect write up, one thing I noted was that the level three cluster has a wire loom near the headlight switch on the actual cluster that is easiest to remove by dropping the panel covering the fuse box and looking/reaching up.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
+1 for sticky, was very hard finiding this thread others may find it helpful.

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Is this the same for a vs caprice-statesman?

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Bump anyone know if this is sAME FOR CAPRICE

MAS_614

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive II
how do yu get to this stage? like how you remove intsrument cluster etc

MAS_614

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive II
yer im glad no1 has answered my quiestion fort i was looking at instructions on removing the actual dash