Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr ~ Vs Level 3 Cluster Odometer reset

J

jc58nc

Having converted my Vr ute to a level 3 dash cluster I wanted the odometer reset to match my original speedo, I contacted my local Holden dealer who assured me it would take about an hour and would cost about $80. After waiting 3 weeks for a booking and driving 3/4 of an hour I took the ute to them to have it done, the service technician then sat down with the manuals to teach himself how to do it! In the end they couldn't change the odometer so it was all a waste of time. They then told me that some Holden dealer had abused the resetting feature and was rewinding his showroom cars on a weekly basis and so it was disabled to all the dealers, but they claim didn't know until they tried to do it on my car, no help to me though.
So with the help of the yellow pages I tracked down Premier Instruments in 7 Badham St Dickson Canberra ACT 2602 ph 02 62491409 and with ringing them was told it would take 15 minutes but the cluster would have to be out of the car.
So I did the 1 1/2 hour drive to Canberra yesterday after I had removed the cluster and to my pleasant surprise it was done in 15 minutes and only charged $44. If you want a cluster done by them and it means you are resetting the odometer to a lower reading you will have to supply proof of the reading, your last pink slip RWC or copy of the blue slip in my case from doing my engine transplant otherwise it's illegal and they may not do it for you.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
my case from doing my engine transplant otherwise it's illegal and they may not do it for you.

what do you mean by this statement? Are you saying that if we fit a low km engine into our vehicle than we legaly would be allowed to turn back the odometre.

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
what do you mean by this statement? Are you saying that if we fit a low km engine into our vehicle than we legaly would be allowed to turn back the odometre.

doubt it cos the km affect all the running gear not just the engine... cant say engine done 20000km and while the rest of the car has done 200000km...

J

jc58nc

Yes, that's what I've done and it was accepted by the RTA here in NSW but under the condition that I was NOT selling the car, and it was more than just an engine swap. The Holden dealer also rang the RTA and confirmed it was allowed here in NSW before attempting to change my Odometer.
I started this tread to inform members of a good instrument service in ACT, it's not about "Can I wind back my Odometer because I've swapped engines?"
That's for you to sort out in your own states, as I said to have it done you will have to supply your own legal proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the Holden Tech 2 tool used for setting odometers can only be used on VT & later cars & only if the odo is under 100km & only go upwards, this is what Holden did to stop dealers driving demos around & dropping the reading down each time it approached 100km.
The tool for the earlier cluster is a VDO item & can set any of the digital odo's VN to VS
not all dealers have the VDO tool & some Instrument repairers have them
hope this clears up

Cheers Rob

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have been quoted $150.00 in SA to reset a L3 cluster in my car when I upgraded from a L2. I purchase a L3 of Ebay with around the kms needed for $72.00 - a much cheaper way. Sold the L3 cluster I got with the climate control (with 300k on it) for $45.00.

J

jc58nc

The tool for the earlier cluster is a VDO item & can set any of the digital odo's VN to VS
not all dealers have the VDO tool & some Instrument repairers have them
hope this clears up

Cheers Rob
When I enquired about having the Digital Odometer reset in a Vr Vs I would have expected the Holden dealer to have the VDO tool to do the job when they told me they could do it.
I had to wait 3 weeks to find out they couldn't, just shows they didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
When I enquired about having the Digital Odometer reset in a Vr Vs I would have expected the Holden dealer to have the VDO tool to do the job when they told me they could do it.
I had to wait 3 weeks to find out they couldn't, just shows they didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

and thinking the tech 1 or tech 2 could do it ...... no further comment required

Rob

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
i can do it with less than 1 day turn around time providing al the legal consumer affairs documents are provided.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
thats good to know.

thanks for the thread dig. =]