Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr vs manuals

N

NVIOUS

heya goin guys i had a ferrari red gemi came out of the panel shop for a month and some lady ran up my arse, an the insureance want to write it off, and im looking for a vs or vr manual, are these boxes reliable and strong? has anyone got any expirence with them.

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm no expert (really know nothing), but I've heard that the series 2 VS had a Getrag type 260 gearbox whilst the series 1 had a T5. I 'think' the Getrag has a better name than the T5.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
no its the other way round... the T5 is better than the getrag.... well thats the word on the street anyway. T5 is a brilliant box, i have one in my VN (from a VR). Smooth, stong(ish) and cheap! dont know much about the getrag ut they were used in VSSII onwards i think.....

Hope, that helped.

P.S. as for findfing a VR/VS manual, good FN luck with that one as they are now rare as hell and the ones that are avaliable are gone before you can say......

aZk.

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
i got a T5. sum1 tried tellin me der betta than the getrags but i dont get it if they chose to use getrags in the S2 and u probally wouldnt notice the diff.. i think they used t5s up until the VX not sure.... yer man if u see 1 advertised ya cant **** around and think about buyin it coz they will sell that day.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Of course you know they use the T5 in Falcons........

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Getrags from VSII on I think.

I have a VSII manual. It has the Getrag box.

I have driven both the T5 and Getrag, and consider the Getrag the better gearbox. In particular, I think that the gear ratios are much better than the T5.

The one issue on an older car though might be the cost of a clutch replacement. It is much cheaper for the T5 as it has a solid flywheel.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Fekason said:
I have a VSII manual. It has the Getrag box.

I have driven both the T5 and Getrag, and consider the Getrag the better gearbox. In particular, I think that the gear ratios are much better than the T5.

The one issue on an older car though might be the cost of a clutch replacement. It is much cheaper for the T5 as it has a solid flywheel.

Yes the Getrags are from series II VS onwards in the 6's.
They are not as strong as the T5 but are a lot smoother and quiet. The ratios are lower in the getrag every gear too , except for 4th where in both boxes its 1:1.
I recently had a series II manual and had no problems at all with it. No whining , crunching etc and it had a fair bit of abuse.
I would recommend a getrag over a t5. (good luck finding one!)

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
yeah my vr has the T5 and ive never had any problems with it. And its done 220,000 k's.

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
kritical said:
i got a T5. sum1 tried tellin me der betta than the getrags but i dont get it if they chose to use getrags in the S2 and u probally wouldnt notice the diff.. i think they used t5s up until the VX not sure.... yer man if u see 1 advertised ya cant **** around and think about buyin it coz they will sell that day.

sux how ive been trying to sell mine for 6 months. thats the problem with tassie though i guess ;)

N

NVIOUS

thanks alot for your help guys. the manuals arent that rare theres a few in car sales. i got till january before my p's so that is enuff time, for me to shop around. thanks