Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS rear cradle bushes/cradle failures, Solid VS soft bushes and mounts????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive welded up a few vr cradles if its not cracked ide drop it out and weld on a strengthening patch

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, mine has to come out, but unfortunately with a stuffed arm/shoulder it will be a couple of months yet before I can even consider doing something like that :(

I like the way VRsenator065 strengthened his so I'll copy his one when I do it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Had the car up on a hoist this morning and no signs of any cracking in the rear subframe :w00t:

Plenty of movement in the bushes though, everything else looks like it's original, bushes, shocks (which are shot) etc.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
I reckon the problem with solids is the holes on the chassis will have to line up precisely. Seriously the Super pro's I have are as close to solid as you would ever need anyways. There is a guy on eBay (can't fnd it right now) selling a fabricated diff mount I think to sort of try and replicate the Harrop but without going to the cost.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I'll fit Urethane type bushes for the subframe as this car is intended mainly as a comfortable cruiser. I haven't yet decided if I'll go with the Harrop mount or if I fabricate something up myself.

I think I know what mount your talking about, I think it was all alloy but it looked a but ugly if I remember correctly.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
I think it was all alloy but it looked a but ugly if I remember correctly.

Yep actually looked pretty rough tbh. I don't reckon it would be too hard to fab one up. Post up if you do, be interesting to see.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If I do it will be steel (I don't have a lot of alloy stock, nor the equipment to weld it). but it should look nice at least.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Yea and really you will never ever see it. I wouldn't do it in Ally anyway, unless you could lay your hands on some 6061 or something, it will be under a lot of load/stress.

Might be worth messing around with the height of the cradle if your doing it. You may be able to crib a few millimeters by making the rear of the cradle sit a little higher than stock so that with the car lowered the drive shafts are more horizontal taking load off the cv's Just a thought bubble though, haven't thought it through.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I figure If I measure a standard mount before fitting and use that as a base the diff will sit higher as there won't be any sag like you would have with that standard rubber mount.

You don't really want the CV's to be 100% straight. From my understanding you want at least 1° angle across the CV joint so the bearings turn a little in the joint. If they don't apparently they wear out a lot quicker which I think is why the IRS models have the centre drive shaft mount offset.