Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Vs rear taillight reflectors turn white over time

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
Hi i have a vr commodore. Over time the rear taillight refectors have turned form red to white. The problem is that having white reflectors on your taillights is against the law and my car could get defected. Is there a way of turning the reflectors red again? e.g special paint, or is there a callback from holden that i am unaware of. could somebody help me:dance:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It's life, I'm afraid.

You might be able to get away by spraying nightshade tint on ONLY the reflector area, but if the red's gone then it's only a temp fix.

Best bet is to hit a wrecker for some in better condition. Same lights are on the VS so some opportunity for lights that are a bit newer/less faded.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
id suggest lens paint, but it would only wear off, as it cant go inside the reflector like its supposed to for the lights.

so, get some new ones and get the lights with clear indicators, came on calais, berlinas i think, etc.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i had this prob and so did my dad. i latter replaced mine but we got red lense dye (from super cheap i think) and it has stayed on my dads taillights for a while now. make sure you clean the reflector thourghly (with alcohol/solvent) then mask it off and then paint the dye on. the dye comes in small bottle with a brush attached to the lid so give it a nice even spread or it can look sh!t.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
hah i hate that hey my passenger side one on the sedan has a faded one, its like they put a useby date on the car, when this reflector goes white you should have upgraded to current model commodore

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
I used the "WhiteKnight" brand from Bunnings and it sprayed on really easy. I cleaned up the lens with meth and just gave it a light coat (off car).

It was pretty easy and came up like new. Take it lightly and move with pace to avoid runs.

Clacks

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
i actuly like it white didnt know it was illegal but dam

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
you could do what a mate of mine did, who had this same problem... go to an auto shop and get a thin stick on reflector that you can cut to shape and place over the orignal reflector. the new tail lights go for a fair bit because people like me who hate the ones with orange blinkers, all want the clear ones, i got mine on exchange for $80, but there are aftermarket not genuine. You cant tell but.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
Hi i have a vr commodore. Over time the rear taillight refectors have turned form red to white. The problem is that having white reflectors on your taillights is against the law and my car could get defected. Is there a way of turning the reflectors red again? e.g special paint, or is there a callback from holden that i am unaware of. could somebody help me:dance:

Hi All,

The ones that fade are non gen type.

The car has had a minor bingle and the cheap bastards :ranting: replace them with these ones that fade.

I have a VR with GM lights no problem. I also have a VS with one which is okay and another which is faded.

Cheers
Struggo

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
Hi All,

The ones that fade are non gen type.

The car has had a minor bingle and the cheap bastards :ranting: replace them with these ones that fade.

I have a VR with GM lights no problem. I also have a VS with one which is okay and another which is faded.

Cheers
Struggo

omg dodgy!! lol.. guess that explains why every1s have faded but mine.. lol yay my ass end hasnt been dodgied.. yet. :p